Author Topic: fan belt ?  (Read 1869 times)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
fan belt ?
« on: February 03, 2013, 12:45:31 AM »
figured I'd post it here as it seems around when these were intoduced. There are fan belts out there that have correct autolite embossing and dated properly (I've seen as early as 1/69) that have a part # that begins with JC instead of the typical Ford part # like C6AE 8620. What the deal with those and were they ever used on assembly line?
Here's an example,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-AUTOLITE-BELT-FORD-GALAXIE-MERCURY-/200629858706?hash=item2eb678b192&item=200629858706&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:48:21 AM by TLea »
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Re: fan belt ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:56:25 AM »

Well a quick check on the parts book and this doesnt match up to what its listed for....at least not by my books. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:46:15 AM »
Tim, the JA, JB and JC Autolite Belts are service belts. The JC indicates the width of the belt 1/2 inch. JB is 15/32, JA is 13/32. The 684 indicates length 68.4 inches. Although not assembly line correct I believe 50% credit in Thoroughbred class or URA class is appropriate.

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:11:22 PM »
When I looked last night in the MPC I only looked for 1969 applications on this particular belt because I was tired and lazy.  But with a 68 inch belt its most likely an air conditioning belt application since thats pretty long.  The quick reference numbers used on belts typically could have serviced numerous applications so that Ford did not have to stock so many belts, so this JC-684 belt could have been correct for a few applications over the years.  Ford also had multiple vendors supplying belts during this period such as Gates, Goodyear, and Dayco. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:16:57 PM »
Tim, the JA, JB and JC Autolite Belts are service belts. The JC indicates the width of the belt 1/2 inch. JB is 15/32, JA is 13/32. The 684 indicates length 68.4 inches. Although not assembly line correct I believe 50% credit in Thoroughbred class or URA class is appropriate.
Thanks Bob. Thats what I was thinking as the ones I see with those markings generally have the pacesetter sleeve which AFAIK was one of Autolites service lines.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America