Author Topic: firewall sealer ac  (Read 1584 times)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
firewall sealer ac
« on: January 30, 2013, 07:28:50 AM »
Trying to get a consensus, were molded heater hoses/water valves in place when firewall sealer was sprayed? The culprit is 69 Dearborn with AC
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: firewall sealer ac
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:08:34 PM »
IMHO - yes - Will try and find some pictures with the control valve sealed as well as the hoses through the firewall - know I've got them
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 11:37:25 PM »
Sorry dropped the ball - the valve I was thinking about was th e67 :( In any case I believe the hoses and valve were likely installed sine it would match the non AC installations (no no problem for the workers to handle the positioning of the hoses during engine installation and make it easier than after) and how they were done in the prior years. The clamp/retainer for the vacuum hoses above the heater was in place also and though the sealer didn't often reach that high on the firewall have seen plenty of hoses with some sealer on them

Couple of examples of non-Ac hoses with sealer on the top one (likely shadowed the one below) and one picture possibly  showing what might be sealer on one of the heater hoses

Just what I've got  currently

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline G Wood

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 03:40:04 PM »
In the bottom photo, it appears there is sealant on the brake line as well. Am I correct?

A second question, would the heater motor also have sealant on it?
65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 07:11:14 PM »
The clamp/retainer for the vacuum hoses above the heater was in place also and though the sealer didn't often reach that high on the firewall have seen plenty
Thanks Jeff. Do you know if there were 2 types of straps used? I have a large one that if you put just the ac vac hoses in looks silly. Or did the refrigerant lines go through there as well? The ones used for 67/68 are much smaller but I dont know if they also used the smaller one in 69 as well

To other post: yes brake lines and heater motor were in place @ sealer
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America