Author Topic: Spare Tire Trunk/Gas Tank Board  (Read 716 times)

Offline dkknab

Spare Tire Trunk/Gas Tank Board
« on: August 14, 2022, 10:00:16 PM »
I have a question about the spare tire in the trunk.  I have a rectangular piece of fiber board that sits under the jack and jack handle protecting the gas tank. I have no way of knowing if it's original to the car.  Is that original to the car or was the jack and jack handle under the spare tire sitting directly on the gas tank and trunk carpet material?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 11:03:40 PM by J_Speegle »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Spare Tire Trunk/Gas Tank Board
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 11:04:39 PM »
NOTE: Changed the title of the thread to reflect your stated focus

Don't see why masonite board would not be original to your car if its the same shape and material that we typically find.

Have you seen this earlier thread on the general subject?

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11915.msg72111#msg72111
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 11:08:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 11:18:36 PM »
I have a question about the spare tire in the trunk.  I have a rectangular piece of fiber board that sits under the jack and jack handle protecting the gas tank. I have no way of knowing if it's original to the car.  Is that original to the car or was the jack and jack handle under the spare tire sitting directly on the gas tank and trunk carpet material?
The board typically went under the trunk mat material.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 11:26:44 PM »
..... Is that original to the car or was the jack and jack handle under the spare tire sitting directly on the gas tank and trunk carpet material?

Want to explain which of the different trunk mats you thinking of using?  68 NJ had a few
Jeff Speegle

Offline dkknab

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 03:04:56 PM »
Thank you for the info and previous thread. I missed that one in my cursory search.

Attached is a picture of the mat I removed from my car and the replacement one showing my board.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 04:37:53 PM »
What appears to be a original speckled mat will have value to the unrestored crowd. You may be surprised.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 08:57:11 PM »
FYI the board goes under the mat.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 09:46:10 PM »
Thank you Marty.  I had the board out just to get a picture for posterity.

By the way are there any good pictures of the spare installed inside the trunk? I'm wondering because my spare sits at an angle resting on top of the gas tank.  Is that correct or should it not rest at all on the gas tank?
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 10:34:09 PM »
It should rest on the jack. Look at the jack instructions on the trunk lid, it shows how everything should be positioned. The purpose of the board is to protect the gas tank from the pressure of the tire on the jack.

Offline wll17057

• 1968 Metuchen NJ 200-1V I-6 Mfg date 07/24/68
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2024, 08:40:39 PM »
Thanks to David Knab for the picture of the trunk board.

Although it's a minor detail, I want to install a trunk board in our 1968 Metuchen Coupe.  After reading some of the associated posts, the board was intended to protect the tank from the jack (?).  Can anyone tell me what the board was made of, and the dimensions?  I haven't found any in supplier websites and it seems easy enough to make.  I have the original trunk mat, and want to add the board. 

Thanks everyone.

Bill Leonard
1968 Metuchen Coupe
8T01T225520 / 65A U 2AA 31U 16 6 1
Bill Leonard
1968 Metuchen NJ 2-Door Hardtop
200-1V I-6 Engine
DOM:  07/24/68
Tahoe Turquoise w/ Black Interior

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 11:09:14 AM »

Although it's a minor detail, I want to install a trunk board in our 1968 Metuchen Coupe.  After reading some of the associated posts, the board was intended to protect the tank from the jack (?).  Can anyone tell me what the board was made of, and the dimensions?  I haven't found any in supplier websites and it seems easy enough to make.  I have the original trunk mat, and want to add the board. 

Thanks everyone.

Bill Leonard
1968 Metuchen Coupe
8T01T225520 / 65A U 2AA 31U 16 6 1

The board appears to be made from scrap from the fabrication of the rear window filler board. I usually use originals, I don't have one to measure right now but it is around 10" by 12". The material is what I would call fiberboard, it is 1/4" thick and sold at any big box store or hardware store.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 07:58:08 PM »

The board is what is know as press-board or Masonite. Basically saw dust with glue that is formed under pressure

Size of the boards differ depending on year. 68 uses the smaller boards - later in 69-70. Thickness of current Masonite sheets are thinner (big surprise - just like 2x4's are that size anymore either) so getting a good reproduction is very difficult.

Sorry don't have a 68 board around to measure.
Jeff Speegle