Author Topic: Space Saver Spare Tire Felt  (Read 1141 times)

Offline ninedrvr

Space Saver Spare Tire Felt
« on: November 04, 2022, 07:59:46 AM »
The decal for space saver spare tires doesn't show the presence of a felt pad but I've seen the pad in some of the restored 69 Shelbys. Was the pad used from Ford or is just some folks trying to protect the paint on their spare wheel?
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: Space Saver Spare Tire Felt
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 10:24:17 AM »
It is the way the cars came from Shelby.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 07:30:50 PM »
+1 to Pete's comment

The decal for space saver spare tires doesn't show the presence of a felt pad

You will notice that the jacking instructions show the pad

but I've seen the pad in some of the restored 69 Shelby's.

Not always the best source of reliable information ;)

Was the pad used from Ford or is just some folks trying to protect the paint on their spare wheel?

Since there appears to only be a couple of examples in the Unrestored Picture thread with both Boss and Shelby's here are some more unrestored/original examples. Have plenty more

And while we are on the subject and because you will find them on unrestored/original cars don't apply either of these two stickers on your spare. They were part of a "safety campaign" after the model year and sent to all registered (with Ford) owners who were told to install them. NOT original

« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 07:32:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 11:03:36 AM »
Was that the only jacking instructions decal used on these cars?  I've tried to find 69 Shelbys that look unrestored under the trunk lid and it seems that decal, the one for styled steel wheels was one of two I'm finding. The other decal was the one for a space saver spare which doesn't show the felt, though it may still have been used.

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 11:13:16 AM »
And while we are on the subject and because you will find them on unrestored/original cars don't apply either of these two stickers on your spare. They were part of a "safety campaign" after the model year and sent to all registered (with Ford) owners who were told to install them. NOT original

Another question I have is about where the line is drawn for judging. Why is the spare decal considered "NOT original" when it was a modification that was given by the manufacturer? That makes me think that the GT500 fuel vapor recall/campaign should also be considered not original. I don't think the GT500s  come out of Dearborn that way.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 02:17:10 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 12:41:36 PM »

Another question I have is about where the line is drawn for judging. Why is the spare decal considered "NOT original" when it was a modification that was given by the manufacturer? That makes me think that the GT500 fuel vapor recall/campaign should also be considered not original. I don't think the GT500s  come out of Dearborn that way.
In concours judging the car is expected to look like it was when delivered to the first customer. In the case of these particular stickers they were not applied from the factory or dealer prior to delivery. The stickers didn't come out until around 1971. That is when they were sent to owners and also when dealers started to apply them if the car went in for service. Supposed to that is if they even remembered to do so. Not many cars came with space savers then.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 12:48:09 PM »
The caution fan sticker was sent out in the mail to owners too. It was being retrofitted to the fan shrouds about the same time but unlike the space saver in the case of dealer service it was under the hood which was the place most Mustang service took place so more frequently done. That is if they remembered that they were supposed to add the sticker. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 12:59:52 PM »
So would a GT500 lose points if they had the fuel vapor line installed?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 02:13:42 PM »
..... I don't think the GT500s  come out of Dearborn that way.

Just asking but what do you base that statement on?  That all GT500's were later modified after they left AO Smith

So would a GT500 lose points if they had the fuel vapor line installed?

If the conversation has changed from what was original to how cars are judged, what class and organization are you asking about?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 02:16:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2022, 10:27:39 PM »
In concours judging the car is expected to look like it was when delivered to the first customer...

I'm just curious whether this expectation would extend to things like the fuel vapor line and the riveted wheels. Neither would have been on an early 69 Shelby. Would these cars with the recall wheels and the vapor line be considered correct in concours judging?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2022, 10:47:07 PM »
I'm just curious whether this expectation would extend to things like the fuel vapor line and the riveted wheels. Neither would have been on an early 69 Shelby. Would these cars with the recall wheels and the vapor line be considered correct in concours judging?

Since the question was not specific I would respond that it depends on the organization, the rules, the class and the judges. Since the letters I have about the vapor line was dated only in July I would expect that at least the late built cars would have been modified at the AO Smith while others would have been changed at dealerships before they were sold to the first owners.Letter states that they started addressing the problem at the plant on June 9 1969  I would suggest that all of these variants play into the mix for that subject

« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 10:51:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 12:27:49 PM »
Anybody seen the yellow stripe on a shelby SS spare tire cover felt as i have seen 2 types of felts?

Offline hopey

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2024, 08:09:10 AM »
Anybody seen the yellow stripe on a shelby SS spare tire cover felt as i have seen 2 types of felts?

Similar question, I have also seen two types of felts. The thick grey one which is typically seen in Dearborn builds and a more brown colored felt which I have seen in at least a couple of 1970 BOSS 302 Metuchen builds. This is an example of the other felt. Has anyone else documented examples of this, was it a assembly plant difference or just a coincidence I saw it in Metuchen builds?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 03:51:25 PM by hopey »
1970 BOSS 302
Built 11/15/69 Dearborn

Offline specialed

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 10:34:24 AM »
I been trying to document  these ss felt covers as have seen different material used and if its a plant thing or a vendor change or just a running change. These felt covers came from some  full size ford  luxury cars trunk liners and mats as i been collecting them from junk yard finds back years ago as this material was glued on inside rear quarter panels and floors to protect luggage and quiet rides in luxury cars t-birds lincolns etc back in late 60s. I recently made a pattern and cut out some ss felt original covers and have 3 or so different materials here and thinking all were used originally but not sure on NJ cars as i mostly only see dearborn cars and no 69-70 boss and shelbys from SJ plant so not much need for SJ ss felt covers ya think?