Author Topic: 69 Front Signal Light Rebuild  (Read 1070 times)

Offline G Wood

69 Front Signal Light Rebuild
« on: March 09, 2015, 10:39:37 PM »
I have found a local plating supplier that will refinish my front turn signal housings in zinc dichromate. The wire harness/socket looks to be pressed into the housing. Is there an easy way to remove the wire harness and socket from the housing so that I can send the housing for plating?

65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Front Signal Light Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
I have found a local plating supplier that will refinish my front turn signal housings in zinc dichromate. The wire harness/socket looks to be pressed into the housing. Is there an easy way to remove the wire harness and socket from the housing so that I can send the housing for plating?

"Easy"?   Did you check the library and read the article on the back up lights?  Think you could use the same process I did no the front turn lamps.

Think the biggest issue is the quality of the plating on the bulb socket since its so visible once its on the car.

Also not sure how I would go about reproducing the original color/coating on the staple - that might be fun
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline G Wood

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:11:55 PM »
Yes that article helps. I was hoping that there was an different solution other than prying the flange with the screw driver. The socket that the wires fasten into are in good shape so I am hoping to only clean the socket and wires.

thanks for the refernce to the library
65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 03:36:15 AM »
I rebuild these all the time and have tried a few different ways to do this.  In the end if you want excellent results you have to take the wire harness off the turn signal housing.  Otherwise you will not get desirable results.  Its well worth the effort.
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations