1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 Mustang

Heater Box

<< < (2/8) > >>

Bob Zink:
130Outlaw,

Did you have to remove the lower metal dash or loosen it to remove the non/ac 69 heater box?  I need to remove mine as well, but have been procrastinating  due to having a back problem.  I assume the dash pad, the clock bezel, and glove box need removed. 

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Bob Zink on March 28, 2015, 01:27:14 PM ---Did you have to remove the lower metal dash or loosen it to remove the non/ac 69 heater box?  I need to remove mine as well, but have been procrastinating  due to having a back problem.  I assume the dash pad, the clock bezel, and glove box need removed.

--- End quote ---

Why are you removing it?  To replace the core?

Did it recently on my Boss and didn't have to remove the dash pad, clock or passenger side panel...... Pulled the glove box liner though removing the door allows for better access ;)

Bob Zink:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on March 28, 2015, 04:22:26 PM ---Why are you removing it?  To replace the core?

--- End quote ---

Yes, I need to replace the heater core.  I assumed I needed to remove the heater box entirely.  I believe that is what the shop manual recommends, but it shows the instructions for an a/c car.  Perhaps I don't need to drop the entire box for a non a/c car. 

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Bob Zink on March 28, 2015, 05:48:59 PM ---Yes, I need to replace the heater core.  I assumed I needed to remove the heater box entirely. This is easy to do on a non A/C compared to one with A/C.  I believe that is what the shop manual recommends, but it shows the instructions for an a/c car.  Perhaps I don't need to drop the entire box for a non a/c car.

--- End quote ---
I think it will be easier in the long run to remove the entire box. you don't have to remove the clock or the dash pad .Just remove the glovebox liner as Jeff suggested. This would be a good time to R+R the entire housing. The foam gaskets have typically dissolved and need replaced plus a good time to repaint and lubricate doors etc. Hopefully the outside is not painted black like so many past owners do. If it has been painted a lacquer bath is in order (along with appropriate precautions).If lucky and not painted , clean outside thoroughly . Some will fog a coat of clear to make the fiberglass case surface pop but you don't want too much as to appear cleared. As much as I know you are doing with your car Bob, if you don't detail the box now you will wish you had later IMHO. Best of luck with project how ever you proceed.

Brian Conway:
With the liner out of the way you get a pretty good look at what's involved.  Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version