Author Topic: Striker plate screw removal  (Read 10982 times)

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Striker plate screw removal
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 07:46:03 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  After I posted that I went and looked at my 69.  Duh..  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 08:40:40 PM »
I should have left well enough alone.  Now I have to slam my door to get it to shut completely.  It used to shut with little effort.  I couldn't get the screws loosened with the manual impact screwdriver from harbor freight with the largest phillips bit. 

Online jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 12:26:37 AM »
You might have had the direction set backwards on the impact tool so you were tightening the screws. You need to twist the grip in the direction you want to go, counterclockwise in this case. If the rear quarter trim is off you should give a squirt or two of Liquid Wrench or its metric equivalent to the back side of the threads (I think there is access), and then use a bigger hammer.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
Bob, ironically enough Jeff Ford just put this video up today on Youtube. It may give you some additional pointers.

'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 10:55:17 AM »
Bob, ironically enough Jeff Ford just put this video up today on Youtube. It may give you some additional pointers.

+1 YES...rather Ironic...or he is following this thread and had "inspiration" for a new video ;)

I like the "vibrating" aspect of the hammer-drill...Not a big fan of the "HEAT"...but none-the-less, his ways in the video are a better alternative to the just plain old BEAT harder on it with a "bigger hammer" idea.    So far, I still like the way I mentioned best...and the mentioning of the Posi-Driver bits since that is what they truly ARE! I say this after having done all of the ways discussed so far at least one time "in the real world" of rust and what-not. These things are particularly stubborn at times.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 10:27:05 AM »

That video did help.  He didn't cover/mention the common problem of hardened paint on the screws, however.  Does anyone know if that was a torque wrench or a hammer drill that he used in the video?  I have a craftsman hammer drill with a 19.2 battery.  The problem is the phillips bit I have is the wrong size - off to harbor freight to look for the pozi bits.   

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 03:58:58 PM »
I usually use a small air power impact to remove/install these.  Easy-peasy
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 07:14:43 PM »
That video did help.  He didn't cover/mention the common problem of hardened paint on the screws, however.  Does anyone know if that was a torque wrench or a hammer drill that he used in the video?  I have a craftsman hammer drill with a 19.2 battery.  The problem is the phillips bit I have is the wrong size - off to harbor freight to look for the pozi bits.

The tool you're asking about him using was a cordless 3/8" drive impact gun.
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 08:18:45 PM »
Does anyone know what size pozi bit these striker plate screws call for?  Harbor freight doesn't carry the pozi bits so these are a little tougher to find. 

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 01:04:03 AM »
Does anyone know what size pozi bit these striker plate screws call for?  Harbor freight doesn't carry the pozi bits so these are a little tougher to find.

A #4 Pozi is the correct size, but a #3 will work in a pinch.  I was in HF this past week and I didn't see the bit kit that I had bought previously, but here is picture of it and the bit ~ maybe your store still has them, or my store was out of stock.

Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:03:48 AM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Bob Zink

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:08 PM »
I ended up getting the screws on the strikers out easily without buying a pozi bit.  I took the largest phillips bit in the manual impact kit and ground down the  point a good bit on a grinder.  This allowed the bit to fit the pozi screw well without the point bottoming out.  I stripped it with paint stripper and now it looks  much better.  Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 11:15:41 PM »
Another option for the bit:

https://store.snapon.com/POZIDRIV-174-Standard-chrome-Blue-Point-174-3-8--Socket-Driver-POZI-DRIV-174-Blue-Point-4-P645115.aspx

I've noticed the snap-on blue-point bits are a bit tighter tolerances and more solid fit than other brands.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin