Author Topic: PS Pump Tag  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Vcode

PS Pump Tag
« on: July 16, 2015, 09:57:27 AM »
Is there a correct position for the tag?
Looking at the pump from the back - I have seen tags in the 3 & 9 o'clock position mostly.
1969 428 car.

Thanks,
Dale.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:06:22 AM by Vcode »

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Re: PS Pump Tag
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 01:14:44 PM »
I dont know if there is an actual defined correct position but I just finished one of these and put it back in the 3 oclock position the way it seems to have been originally.  I have two other pumps like that as well.  You can read the tag that way as well right side up. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 07:51:59 PM »
Agree with Marcus in that I'm unsure if there was an "official" clocking of the tag but it appears that allot were assembled with the tag orientated in that direction

On other applications this orientation puts the printed info up side down  and on some others I have originals where the tag is directly opposite
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
Agree with Marcus in that I'm unsure if there was an "official" clocking of the tag but it appears that allot were assembled with the tag orientated in that direction

On other applications this orientation puts the printed info up side down  and on some others I have originals where the tag is directly opposite
+1.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Vcode

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 09:40:39 PM »
Thanks guys
I will put mine at the 3 o'clock

Dale.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 09:53:39 PM »
Is there a correct position for the tag?
Looking at the pump from the back - I have seen tags in the 3 & 9 o'clock position mostly.
1969 428 car.

Thanks,
Dale.
Dale ,looking good . Seeing the detailed job you are doing here are a few observations meant in a helpful way. It appears that the filler neck is tweaked to one side . If in fact it is tweaked then put something to fill the inside of the tube with a long enough handle to slowly lever back into position. The dipstick needs plated shinier and the aluminum bracket is too dull. I find that the eastwood zinc plating kits invaluable for doing this.  I polish the aluminum P/S bracket to a shiny finish all over then spray on some wire wheel cleaner for about 20 seconds and wash it off .You have to be quick lathering the foam on it all over completely so you have a consistent finish. If you leave it on to long it will dull the finish too much. If you don't get it completely covered quickly before washing off it will come out splotchy. If you mess up you don't ruin anything ,you just have to polish it again and go through the other steps. The result is a smooth finish with just a hint of shine which is comparable to the fresh cast finish a NOS one would have . This helps making it look more as original. Just what I do.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Vcode

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 10:15:13 PM »
Dale ,looking good . Seeing the detailed job you are doing here are a few observations meant in a helpful way. It appears that the filler neck is tweaked to one side . If in fact it is tweaked then put something to fill the inside of the tube with a long enough handle to slowly lever back into position. The dipstick needs plated shinier and the aluminum bracket is too dull. I find that the eastwood zinc plating kits invaluable for doing this.  I polish the aluminum P/S bracket to a shiny finish all over then spray on some wire wheel cleaner for about 20 seconds and wash it off .You have to be quick lathering the foam on it all over completely so you have a consistent finish. If you leave it on to long it will dull the finish too much. If you don't get it completely covered quickly before washing off it will come out splotchy. If you mess up you don't ruin anything ,you just have to polish it again and go through the other steps. The result is a smooth finish with just a hint of shine which is comparable to the fresh cast finish a NOS one would have . This helps making it look more as original. Just what I do.

Bob,

Thank you the tips.
I think I see what you meant about the tube be tweaked. I never noticed that before and thanks for pointing it out. It has to go more to the right?
I have a dip stick that I got from Jack at Dead Nuts On that I will be using.
Thanks for the tip on restoring the alum bracket.
I just cleaned mine and used the aluma blast paint on it.

I looked through my pictures that I have been taking and look what I found. A picture of the reservoir before I painted it and I can see that the tag was at the 3 O'clock position like you guys mentioned.

Thanks again,
Dale.