Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

restoring spare tire jack

<< < (2/2)

Sunlitgold68:
It has the stop on it at the end. Standard 68 jack. Would have to grind it down and not sure I want to do that.

67shelby:
Yea, I'm not sure how you'd recreate it if you did grind it down. 

BTW, there are two different 68 jacks.  They changed over in January of 1968, they are different. 

bryancobb:
Sunlit...

I surgically ground my 2 tabs off with a thin cutting disc on a dremmel.  The divot where they "staked" it at the factory remained.  Then when I got my screw plated and the frame blasted and painted, I reinstalled the screw and took it to work with me and restaked it in the same spots.  You can't tell it if you don't have a magnifying glass.

67shelby:

--- Quote from: bryancobb on May 13, 2010, 04:44:08 PM ---Sunlit...

I surgically ground my 2 tabs off with a thin cutting disc on a dremmel.  The divot where they "staked" it at the factory remained.  Then when I got my screw plated and the frame blasted and painted, I reinstalled the screw and took it to work with me and restaked it in the same spots.  You can't tell it if you don't have a magnifying glass.

--- End quote ---

How'd you restake it?  Just a spot weld?

bryancobb:
No..
I work at a steel fabrication company/machine shop.  We are ASME pressure vessel/boiler fabricators.
I used our Piranha Iron Worker and a square piece of tool-steel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version