Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

NOS Body Panel Production Dates

(1/2) > >>

suskeenwiske:
I've seen here and there that, NOS Body Panels will have a Ford Label with production dates into the 80's and 90's. Were Panels stamped by Ford for that long a period of time, or did someone else stamp them using the original tooling for Ford, or am I misunderstanding the production date on the label, etc.?

Thanks

Ray

WT8095:
Regarding the labels, here is an example of a shipping label. The ship date is 3/14/81. The panel itself is stamped "10 31 2" which I interpret as 10/31/1972. The shipping label in this case has nothing to do with the date the part was produced, other than providing a "latest possible" date if the part itself is not marked.

In this case the shipment was from the Melrose Park parts depot to a dealership in Wisconsin. The label carries no indication of who, when or where the panel was stamped.

Photos are from a pair of trunk floors I have for sale in the "For Sale" area.

J_Speegle:
+1  You're confusing shipping with identification labeling

The shipping label is just that

From time to time Ford would roll out the old dies and press out some additional panels to try and meet what ever need was  expected (build the inventory nationally

As time passed the dies loose some of their crispness due to wear and at some point they stop making the panels.

In some cases in the past (don't believe this was done with Mustangs ever) the dies would get shipped to South America and the older dies would be used to make Fords down there (cars looked pretty much the same for a number of years) In some cases they would press out a stainless steel body for a show car or "keep sake" for the Ford museum. Of course this basically ruined dies from ever being used again

D0ZZ70MACH:
Does the 2 in stamping stand for 1972 or 2nd shift?

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: D0ZZ70MACH on August 31, 2015, 10:43:24 PM ---Does the 2 in stamping stand for 1972 or 2nd shift?

--- End quote ---

Shift - On original panels the year was not stamped in sheet metal

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version