Author Topic: Python Restorations  (Read 8205 times)

Offline lathamjr

Python Restorations
« on: September 14, 2015, 06:16:01 PM »
I'm wondering if anybody has been in contact with Python Restorations lately. I have left many messages by phone and pressed to leave a callback number, as well as many email messages. This has gone on for months now. In September 2014 he received a set of 64-1/2 belts to restore for me. The package included a set of the plastic retaining pins. He acknowledged receiving the pins and even described them. They disappeared while in his shop. For months I was told that he was still searching for them and any attempt to discuss compensation was answered with replies to let him continue to look for them. I attempt contact at least weekly and have not received any reply for probably six months now. I honestly feel like he is deliberately avoiding me.

Offline IndyFive-O

Re: Python Restorations
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 12:53:37 AM »
I had him restore my 67 standard belts back in April or May this year. He did a great job, fair price, and got them back to me within a couple weeks.
1967 289 Coupe "Sports Sprint"
2007 GT/CS

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
I'm wondering if anybody has been in contact with Python Restorations lately. I have left many messages by phone and pressed to leave a callback number, as well as many email messages. This has gone on for months now. In September 2014 he received a set of 64-1/2 belts to restore for me. The package included a set of the plastic retaining pins. He acknowledged receiving the pins and even described them. They disappeared while in his shop. For months I was told that he was still searching for them and any attempt to discuss compensation was answered with replies to let him continue to look for them. I attempt contact at least weekly and have not received any reply for probably six months now. I honestly feel like he is deliberately avoiding me.
I have not had success in getting responses via phone or emails from both Python and Ssnake-Oyl recently (early 2015).
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 12:37:29 PM »
Spoke to Python (I forget the gentlemens name.) around March/April 2015.  Nice guy.  He did mention that he was absolutely swamped.  He told me 8 weeks minimum to get my seat belts restored.  I said that was fine because I was not in a hurry.  After our initial conversation, I tried to contact him via phone and email to send him my seat belts.  He never returned any calls or emails so I decided this was not a person I wanted to do business with.  From what I can gather if you are one of Python's "regular customers", you move to the top in terms of responsiveness then there is everybody else.  I have no ill feelings towards Python (but If I was you, I sure would).  It is what it is.  If I was you I'd locate another set of pins but keep after Python for cash or the original pins.

I went with Ssnake-Oyl.  Yes, I paid more but they kept in contact with me, delivered on time and did a great job.  I did have a minor problem and they bent over backwards to make it right.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline Toploader

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 04:21:47 PM »
Thanks to all posters. These reviews are invaluable. Keep them coming.
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 05:38:28 PM »
My car is going to be done before I can even get my belts in for restoration. I'm looking to buy a standard set to put in the car so I can drive it and have the originals are ready to go when either Python or Ssnake are ready to take them.   :)
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 07:35:39 PM »
Spoke to Python (I forget the gentlemens name.) around March/April 2015.  Nice guy.  He did mention that he was absolutely swamped.  He told me 8 weeks minimum to get my seat belts restored.  I said that was fine because I was not in a hurry.  After our initial conversation, I tried to contact him via phone and email to send him my seat belts.  He never returned any calls or emails so I decided this was not a person I wanted to do business with.  From what I can gather if you are one of Python's "regular customers", you move to the top in terms of responsiveness then there is everybody else.  I have no ill feelings towards Python (but If I was you, I sure would).  It is what it is.  If I was you I'd locate another set of pins but keep after Python for cash or the original pins.

I went with Ssnake-Oyl.  Yes, I paid more but they kept in contact with me, delivered on time and did a great job.  I did have a minor problem and they bent over backwards to make it right.
there have been some autnticity issues with snake oyl which is why myself and others choose to do business with Python. If you are not concerned about that then you have more choices. I hope snake oyl has changed their webbing and sewing issues.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 01:35:22 AM »

Thanks to all posters. These reviews are invaluable. Keep them coming.
I second that. I need a set of Dark Blue belts restored for our '69 Z/28. This thread will help determine where I send them.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 09:37:01 AM »
there have been some autnticity issues with snake oyl which is why myself and others choose to do business with Python. If you are not concerned about that then you have more choices. I hope snake oyl has changed their webbing and sewing issues.

Bob, care to elaborate on the issues you've encountered?  I've always used Python, but I too had difficulty getting ahold of Stewart back when I last used him, and I thought of switching to Ssnake-Oyl.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 69GT350H

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 11:32:06 AM »
Thanks for the name. Stewart had to deal with some personal issues around the beginning of the year and stopped accepting work for a while. This is when I had contacted him, and he was very nice, polite, and asked that I get back with later (about a month from the time that I had contacted him). Since then I have sent a couple of emails asking if it was OK to send him my belts for him to work on, but have never heard back. So I wrote to Ssnake-Oyl asking them about availability to do work and have never heard from them either. Where phone #'s are listed on WEB sites, I have also called one of both and left messages as well. There is a third seat belt restorer that I came across in the WEB searches but they seem to have a low production and work seems to stop when they go to shows. I will have to see if I can find them again so I can post the name.

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 07:35:15 PM »
I was wanted to get my belts restored this winter, now I'm starting to have second thoughts.  I'd almost rather leave the 50+ year old, worn out looking belts in there, rather than have multiple issues getting them back.
Any other thoughts?

Offline IndyFive-O

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 08:14:01 PM »
Back around May or so Python re-webbed all my belts, rebuilt and dyed the buckles. I had them back in around 2 1/2 weeks.
Stewart went MIA for a few days when I was trying to reach him but overall he was great to deal with and my belts looks awesome.
1967 289 Coupe "Sports Sprint"
2007 GT/CS

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 11:03:07 PM »
I had Snakeoyl do my Cyclone belts. They look great, had no problems,(that was last year), BUT, the webbing is not 100% correct, not as thick or as wide. They told me that was all they could get. You might think if you are in the business to make high end parts you would have the correct stuff made. For the price they charge they should. I bet Jay Leno would get it done right

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 01:59:00 AM »
I have used Stewart AKA Python for 5 sets and have recommended him.   As far as the webbing I compared to some originals when I got the first set back and they matched.  Maybe he is running out of the correct stuff?  I first used him for my Boss 302 back in 2006.   I need a set done for a Boss 429, so I think I should see if he answers his phone.......
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 02:21:38 AM »
I have used Stewart AKA Python for 5 sets and have recommended him.   As far as the webbing I compared to some originals when I got the first set back and they matched.  Maybe he is running out of the correct stuff? I first used him for my Boss 302 back in 2006.   I need a set done for a Boss 429, so I think I should see if he answers his phone.......
Armond , the last post was talking about Snake Oyl that didn't have the correct webbing not Python. As far as I know the correct webbing isn't a issue for Python.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby