Author Topic: Front Bumper Guard Details  (Read 5117 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Front Bumper Guard Details
« on: July 31, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »
Has anyone found or seen a rubber pad or insulator placed between the front bumper guards and the mounting points?

Wondering what you all have seen - Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Front Bumper Guard Details
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:18:14 PM »
A separate pad, no, but I did take off a front bumper guard with the padded nutclip of the type used on the bumper end brackets to the fender (p/n 378711-S8). It was on the top tab. (I don't remember the year or plant.) I thought it was strange and it was the factory using what they had. That being said, I've found a variety of nutclips on the bumper guard tops and on the frame rail too. They were documented as the rectangular type for a thick panel (the mounting tab) but I was told that Ford had a supply problem (Tinnerman) with the rectangular nutclips and used what ever would work.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:30:59 AM »
None are illustrated in the MPC though I've been informed that they are shown in the Assembly Manual (not sure if its 65 or 66)  Maybe it was something that was planned but never (or only for a shot time)  executed - like the firewall/cowl data plate shown (never caught or changed in the manuals that we're aware of)

Discussion continues ;)

Scan altered to highlight the area of discussion)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:33:17 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:57:09 AM »
I figured they all had them.  NPD sells the "cushion kit" p/n 17997-10K.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »
Guess you may be aware that some early 64.5 cars did not have provisions in the front bumper guards for the little triangle rubber bumpers.  Maybe the MPC is an early design drawing that addressed the early style bumpers.  It wouldn't be uncommon for such a detail to be mistakenly left on the drawing.

Also, assuming that you're not referring to the little triangular rubber tips that attach to the bumper guards?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »
Also, assuming that you're not referring to the little triangular rubber tips that attach to the bumper guards?

Nope - a pad or sealant between the guard and the mounting surface - can't see the purpose of sealing that.  But someone mentioned it at the last show, in turn I get a email so I'm chasing the possibility down though I've never seen it. As mentioned maybe just a "I saw it in the assembly manual - or on a "restored " car"
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
On one car (66 March San Jose build), I remember calk (or crud) on the lower end of the bumper guards to the frame. The car went thru "several" semi-sucessful restorations before I got it and as calk was not called out on the assembly drawing, I scraped it off, cleaned the rail and painted it. It speaks Australian now.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »
Pretty sure these two are original on these REAR guards!

I bought the ones from NPD and put them on my car even if they are incorrect.
The presumed purpose is to keep very minor collisions at the guards from causing the bumper to need replacing ANNND to keep wrecker-tows from damaging the chrome.

Remember, Mustang was ONE OF, if not THE first car to use a painted body part beneath the bumper.  Tow Trucks, known as wreckers here in the south, could no longer
just pick up the front end with a hook.  They now had to have 2 wide rubber straps on a frame apparatus that rested against the bumper and bumper guards.  Two chains with huge hooks
reached up under the car and pulled the front end into firm contact with the two rubber strips.  This protected the painted lower valence panel.

The OEM bumper guards had a plate with a tiny hole, welded into the upper tip.  The rubber bumpers fit right in that area and a rubber teat pulls through that hole.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:11:14 PM by bryancobb »
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »
OOPS!  Thought those were what Jeff was questioning.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »

I bought the ones from NPD and put them on my car even if they are incorrect.
The presumed purpose is to keep very minor collisions at the guards from causing the bumper to need replacing ANNND to keep wrecker-tows from damaging the chrome.

Remember, Mustang was ONE OF, if not THE first car to use a painted body part beneath the bumper.  Tow Trucks, known as wreckers here in the south, could no longer
just pick up the front end with a hook.  They now had to have 2 wide rubber straps on a frame apparatus that rested against the bumper and bumper guards.  Two chains with huge hooks
reached up under the car and pulled the front end into firm contact with the two rubber strips.  This protected the painted lower valence panel.

The OEM bumper guards had a plate with a tiny hole, welded into the upper tip.  The rubber bumpers fit right in that area and a rubber teat pulls through that hole.

I see the "vintage" tow truck (aka wreckers from South of the Mason-Dixon line) is equipped with Early-American rust.
A bit off-topic, but I looked at a rear bumper guard I have on the shelf and it has the provisions for the rubber bumper (p/n 379944-S). Also note, there is a difference between 64-65 and 66 locations of the padded nutclip (p/n 378960-S2) on the rear bumper guards shown in your picture, 64-65 on the bottom, on the top in 66.
Back to topic, sort of; 64-65 front bumper guards are documented to use a round rubber bumper (377769-S, Assy Man AM0001 pg8 item T, and AM0006 pg8 item T, part dwg on Ford Standard and Utility Parts, 1965 pg29) while 66 (also 67) use the triangle rubber bumper front and rear (379944-S, part dwg on Ford Standard and Utility Parts, 1966 pg29).
The Ford Car Parts manual, sect176 pg40 & 42, indicates the service front bumper guards are "less pad" and a rubber bumper, 379944-S, ordered seperately for front and rear, but a quantiy required of 8. Only one per bumper guard is documented or provided for with a hole, so the qty is off.
Jeff - note above "less pad", the source of the original question? 
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:51:46 PM »

Yes have seen this on the rears at the top - guessing an attempt at keeping water out of the trunk - not sure what the engineers might be thinking if they suggested any thing similar at the front - nothing to seal for.

Remember, Mustang was ONE OF, if not THE first car to use a painted body part beneath the bumper.

Wasn't it started in 60 or 61?
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 09:37:40 PM »
Yes have seen this on the rears at the top - guessing an attempt at keeping water out of the trunk -
Everything at the rear of the car was sealed to keep exhaust gasses from getting inside the car (gas tank to body, every bolt, the rear quarter extensions, the drains at the bottom of the drop-off - a one way valve).
Jim

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 11:32:04 AM »
 Anyone know when the changeover date was from the early 65 (64.5) bumper guards to the later version?

Later ones have the little rubber bumpers on the guard where it might contact the bumper.

Was searching for the answer, and seemed like a good addition for this topic, please move if ness.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 11:49:20 AM »
Believe those early bumper guards were only used the first few months of production at Dearborn, '64.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 02:46:06 PM »
Believe those early bumper guards were only used the first few months of production at Dearborn, '64.

So would expect to see on an April 64 Dearborn.

Just scored a nice set on ebay! Thanks.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp