Author Topic: Under body paint confusion/Question 70 Mach I  (Read 1842 times)

Offline markstang

Under body paint confusion/Question 70 Mach I
« on: October 12, 2016, 10:01:55 AM »
I'm working on a 9-17-69 built 70 mach 1 calypso coral paint. 351 w 2v, fmx,  dso- Louisville, sold in Jasper In.( as per Marit Report) Nothing special... Until sand blasting the under body. Beneath the grease and years of "stuff"and what appeared to be factory applied undercoating I found finished grade pastel blue paint. It had no evidence of any work or heavy prime new sealer or anything. It had paint in the places normally not covered with the standard methods of production painting with no evidence of over spray from black out. I just found this interesting and though I would ask for opinions.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:19:43 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Under body paint confusion/Question 70 Mach I
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 08:35:32 PM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find the information and help you find here helps allot in your concours related projects and efforts.

So - got to ask where was your car built?   Makes all the difference but can guess you have a Dearborn car based on what you wrote but don't want to assume the facts

You'll find we're going to do that allot so consider including info in your signature so you don't have to keep reposting it with your questions. If you read allot of the earlier threads posted on this site you will find we've discussed this many times with Dearborn owners. Will wait until you confirm where it was built and we'll go from there.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:44:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline markstang

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 02:13:19 PM »
Thanks Jeff
The Marti Report states that it was built in Metuchen. serial # 0T05H109488. Attached is a photo of the shock cross member, odd for a calypso coral car with vermilion interior.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 11:32:50 PM »
Attached is a photo of the shock cross member, odd for a calypso coral car with vermilion interior.

Exterior and interior colors had nothing to do with the colors used under the car. The paint for the undercarriage was in very latch vats so its not like they sprayed one car a certain color and the car before and after different colors every time

The Marti Report states that it was built in Metuchen. serial # 0T05H109488.

Pretty early car wonder if that has something to do with what we're seeing. IMHO very untypical of NJ practices during 1970 production. Have seen a couple but its been difficult to determine 100% if it was the floor coating or the exterior painter going wild or another possibility is that the floor mounted sprayers didn't get triggered and someone by hand had to apply a coating later in the build at another station which had guns attached to a different supply. Have seen this a couple of times (very very rare) where an area was missed, inspector caught the issue and had someone coat the bare steel with another color/product

If it were my car I would really go over it to make me fully comfortable that the car I was working on was indeed the 70 NJ car originally. Not implying ANYTHING just I would do it to try and convince myself fully at this point

Thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle

Offline markstang

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 09:48:52 AM »
I posted this message originally in hopes that it was a "special" car. Then be able to use the information to convince the owner to restore it not, dare I swear , (restomod) it. Ultimately it his choice.
I first used this forum to help a member "emptys" build his early 69 GT and the helpful information was outstanding.
Thanks for your efforts

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 04:49:50 PM »
Thanks Jeff
The Marti Report states that it was built in Metuchen. serial # 0T05H109488. Attached is a photo of the shock cross member, odd for a calypso coral car with vermilion interior.

Interesting!  Are you finding the light blue / turquoise over the entire underside?  or is it only in a few spots?

Is it possible that it is related to painters clearing their guns of the previous color before they started shooting Calypso Coral?

*Doesn't look like pastel blue to my eye.  Looks more like a light blue to me, whereas pastel blue usually appears as white unless you have white next to it for comparison.  But anyhow...
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline markstang

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 05:09:29 PM »
The remnants are showing that the blue is over the entire underside, including in the tunnel up to the firewall. with no signs of red over spray anywhere. Not completely sure how it was exactly, as our blaster cleaned up the areas I instructed him to and I noticed the color when it was returned. I'll try to get some more pic with detail.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 08:42:10 PM »
I posted this message originally in hopes that it was a "special" car. Then be able to use the information to convince the owner to restore it not, dare I swear , (restomod) it. Ultimately it his choice.
I first used this forum to help a member "emptys" build his early 69 GT and the helpful information was outstanding.
Thanks for your efforts

Well would venture to say it is a "special" car just no a detail that would make it a "special in dollars" one :)

Thanks for the kind words. - that is what we're here for. Would rather talk, discuss and correct where we can before the car gets built or finished  than after
Jeff Speegle