Author Topic: inner fender paint markings 67  (Read 1973 times)

Offline 67gta289

inner fender paint markings 67
« on: July 11, 2010, 08:46:09 AM »
Found paint markings on inner fenders.  Passenger side "9BFL" and driver's side "...BF".  Pictures below.  Two questions:

1. Any ideas what these mean?
2. What is the suggested method to reapply after sandblasting?  I assume the markings go on first, before primer.  Not sure of the paint stick material.  Color appears to be white.

Thanks, John
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:19:07 AM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: inner fender paint markings 67
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:24:49 AM »
1. Any ideas what these mean?
2. What is the suggested method to reapply after sandblasting?  I assume the markings go on first, before primer.  Not sure of the paint stick material.  Color appears to be white.

First John thanks for posting and listing the info about the particular car.

Have a number of these markings documented. What I know and my current understanding

1- These were not typically placed on the cars

2- They are not specific to San Jose (examples have been seen on cars built at Dearborn at least in the early years) though I do have many more from San Jose just because I get to see more of those in the tear down process

3- They are not specific to 67 as they can be seen on early Mustangs. An example can be seen on the Dearborn plant pictures that were published in Mustang Monthly a few years back - the one with the worker who bears a striking resemblance to Charles

4- The style and method of marking changed depending on year

5- Taking into consideration their placement and the rarity of application it has been my opinion that the markings were placed on the sheet metal panel at the stamping plant either to identify a batch, a change in operator or to identify a pallet of panels (likely the top most in a pile) that would be shipped to a assembly plant.

Yes these were applied to the bare metal (thew wax from the marker impregnated the metal reducing the chance of rusting all these years) and was later painted over during the process of paint the car.

Most of the time on 67's the material is missing that they applied but I do have two where it survived and the color as yellow though yours could be different. Just attempting to assist

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)