Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Turn Signals Do Not Work

<< < (2/14) > >>

Mark69Sportsroof:
Hey this may be a dumb question but does the steering wheel need to be on in order for the turn signal to work?  I don't know but thought might ground everything.  Thanks Mark

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: 69mustang73mach1 on March 24, 2017, 10:35:57 PM ---Hey this may be a dumb question but does the steering wheel need to be on in order for the turn signal to work?  I don't know but thought might ground everything.  Thanks Mark

--- End quote ---

No.

More likely a bad connection at the bulk connector  (at the steering column harness to the main under dash harness) or the wires are plugged into the bulk connector incorrectly (since they are often unplugged from the bulk connector to feed them down the steering column). Real easy to get one plugged in wrong, hence the concern for fused protection and the suggestion (several times now suggested) to trace out the schematics. You are literally playing with fire (or a possible short circuit of sorts) if you are not clear on this.

Mark69Sportsroof:
Had a chance to do a few checks today.  The car isn't  at my house so I don't work on it daily.   I took picture of the old turn signal switch wires sequence and
have the same wires in the connectors slot.  Checked the t/s flasher and had 12v  on the 2 prong connector.   Thanks Mark   

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: 69mustang73mach1 on March 25, 2017, 11:39:24 PM ---Had a chance to do a few checks today.  The car isn't  at my house so I don't work on it daily.   I took picture of the old turn signal switch wires sequence and
have the same wires in the connectors slot.  Checked the t/s flasher and had 12v  on the 2 prong connector.   Thanks Mark

--- End quote ---

Good starting point.
1.) Be sure you are on the TS flasher NOT the hazard flasher (verified by 12V constant vs. 12V switched, it should be switched NOT constant)
2.) Identify the TS Flasher output wire COLORS (the wire of the TS flasher without that 12V switched source). Look for the same color wire at the TS column connector and test it THROUGH the connector (both sides) while the connector is plugged in. Be careful while probing so as not to distort the wiring connector pins. People often have trouble caused by the thick probe of a test light, spreading the connector and losing the connection(s).

This should verify if you are getting the 12V SWITCHED source into the TS switch or not. Once you have established this AND since you earlier said the hazards all seem to work, you should be up and running (or so I would think anyways) Electrical troubles are hard to pinpoint through a keyboard, it is really an easy job for those who understand how it all works to do it in person, but not very easy to communicate it through the written word.

Hope this gets you going.

jwc66k:
Flashers are sometimes marked "2 lamp" or "4 lamp", the former for turn, the latter for emergency use.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version