Author Topic: Starting to disassemble early car  (Read 1646 times)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
Starting to disassemble early car
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:24:53 AM »
Hi Guys Hoping you can look at the floors and details here an help me learn.  This is the modified early car, I will point out what I can , hoping some can offer info on any differences in early floors, braces or "things to look at" !   (I have never had a 64 1/2 apart before)

After spending 3 hours going over Mustang II Prototype in April, I wanted to start to take this car apart.  Seeing all the goofy stuff on the show car - not just the one off parts but the use of wood in the interior trim areas had me again working on my car.

After removing seats. 

Is this what a Mustang Floor looks like?  Falcon Floor?  Can you tell a coupe from a convertible from the top view?

Carpet held to wood strip on top of inner rocker.

Underside of rocker support, showing outrigger floor condition. 
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Starting to disassemble early car
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 08:32:01 PM »
Hi Guys Hoping you can look at the floors and details here an help me learn.  This is the modified early car, I will point out what I can , hoping some can offer info on any differences in early floors, braces or "things to look at" !   (I have never had a 64 1/2 apart before)

Is this an early Dearborn car?   From what time period - at Ford  - before someone started to modify it?   ;)

After removing seats. 
Is this what a Mustang Floor looks like?  Falcon Floor?  Can you tell a coupe from a convertible from the top view?

Nothing unusual - typical of early seat supports

Carpet held to wood strip on top of inner rocker.

Wonder what happened to the wood strip on the drivers side.

Might want to remind /warn watchers that many of what you will discover will not be factory or what we would expect to find on original cars ;)

Did you every get documentation as to who and why the car was altered?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 02:34:38 AM »
Might want to remind /warn watchers that many of what you will discover will not be factory or what we would expect to find on original cars ;) 

I know many are keen on "copying paint daubs" wrong - HOPE NO ONE COPIES THIS !!  Fair waring.

Yes early.   May have been built without drivetrain at Allen Park , run down DAP 4/20/64.

There is wood on the both sides of the car, and in the console and trunk.

Still don't have clear view of car use.  Seems to be a chassis study that got out after use.  Then again, may have been done by employees versed in the building of the 63 Mustang II Prototype.  Will be meeting with the son of a designer that stated he remembered 3 cars.   Claims that another is still in Detroit owned by a doctor.

Mark
P.S.  I'm not trying to rewrite history - just know money spent isn't as a waste!   Have way too many cars to get buried in this one.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 05:11:27 PM »
Thanks Mark  This will go a long way (if people read all the posts) to remind people that we would expect allot of details to be different from "regular" cars ;)

Should be interesting
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline svo2scj

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:29:24 PM »
If not worth the time THIS will make a great kids bed frame !

Mark