Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

2227161 Master Cylinder Variations

<< < (2/8) > >>

67gta289:
This one quieted down a bit.  I was doing some clean up and documentation on four master cylinders I have, and aside from the 2227161 marking on the bottom, I did in each case find markings on the driver's (hydraulic port) side.

Hopefully this helps.

I did not look for the "dimple" noted in Jack's web site, will do that later and report back.

Mike_B_SVT:
Bringing this topic back as I am currently shopping for a correct Master Cylinder.  PLEASE correct me where I am in error on this...

Correct / Assembly Line Master Cylinder ID:
On the bottom will be a stop bolt (hex bolt or button-head Allen bolt, depending on year), a bendix logo, a Julian date code, the casting number 2227161. 
There will be a small "bump" on the upper front side above the rear brake outlet port.
Should there also be numbers stamped into the driver's side of the bowls above the brake line ports?

Q&A:
1.) What years used the hex bolt vs button-head bolt and when did these change over?
- Currently believe that the hex bolt was used through 1967 and possibly to early 1968 before changing to the coarse thread button-head Allen stop bolt, which was used until around 1972.  After 1972 they used a slightly different button-head bolt, which had a slightly smaller head and fine threads (per DNO page).
- If you have a rebuilt unit the original stop bolts may have been removed or changed during the rebuild process. 
- Button-head bolts are available from Dead Nuts On in fine and course thread.

2.) Does anyone have pictures of original Hex & Allen Bolts?
- Yes, see the end of this post for examples.

3.) Where the fittings come out of the housing, are these originally machined surfaces or are some simply "cast" (porous) ?
- The fitting surfaces are machined. 
- Then they had rubber plugs (each of a different size) installed in the opening before painting. The plugs were not the same size as the flat machined surface so after painting the removed plug would leave an unpainted circle about the size of a dime around one fitting and nickel-sized for the other fitting (per Bob Gaines' post).

4.) Bail wire, though painted as an assembly while mounted to the booster, what finish should be on the wire before it is painted?
- The bail wire was phosphate & oil(?) before being painted black with the rest of the assembly

5.) Numbers stamped into the sides of the cylinders, is there a "code" known on what they are?
- Good question!  Possibly assembler and / or inspector stamps, some sort of build spec codes, application codes, and / or assembly dates?
- Are these stampings only found on original units?  I have what I believe to be a later (or possibly rebuilt) Bendix that has no number stamps on the side and no stop bolt installed, but has all the other hallmarks.

Example Pics;

Bob Gaines:
Yes on the "small" hex head stop bolt used in 67 and early 68. There is also a large hex head that was used on later production (I have one on a B9 master). The numbers metal stamped into the side was a later phenomenon IMO. I don't believe it was used in 67 and early 68 for instance.   

Mike_B_SVT:

--- Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 30, 2018, 10:18:58 PM --- The numbers metal stamped into the side was a later phenomenon IMO. I don't believe it was used in 67 and early 68 for instance.

--- End quote ---

Do you think they were there on the '69 / '70 cars?

Or are they maybe something added by rebuilders?  I've seen two "NOS" master cylinders with the side stamps, but that doesn't mean they weren't Ford rebuilds maybe.

Anghelrestorations:
The numbers stamped on the side of the master cylinder indicate the assembly date.  This will always be different than the casting date on the bottom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version