1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 Mustang

Install 428cj and C6 as a unit or separate?

<< < (2/2)

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: mac1971 on April 28, 2017, 07:12:44 AM ---I recently reinstalled my rebuilt 429cj and C-6 transmission in my car. I did it myself. I did not move the car, I moved the hoist, no big deal... I did not have a professional tilt mechanism on the end of the hoist, just a chain and hook on the end of the standard 2-ton engine hoist. For me the scariest part was lifting the assembly over the rad support. It maxed out my hoist height capability at the time. I had the car on a scissor type hoist, wheels off and lowered the car so that the brake rotors were a few inches off the ground. Once you get the assembly over the rad support and start lowering, it was just a matter of angling the transmission so that it would not hit the fire wall and she slid right in (well, not quite, but we got there...). Good planning, a good hoist, safety first, you are good to go.

--- End quote ---

I would note there is a bit more room on a 71 than on a 70 & older version. Personally, I pretty much ALWAYS put engines in alone and on a small block, probably will also on my 67 when it is time. However...
I would tend to agree with others who do BIG BLOCK INSTALLS more regularly (than I do)...I would HAVE EXPERIENCED HELP on hand! The extra set of (experienced)eyes can be crucial to prevent or minimize damage or injury.

sportyworty:
Jack the ass end of the car up. Big help when getting the combo in.

69SCJQ4.30:
We removed one as a unit once and it didn't go super smoothly. Passenger exhaust manifold got in the way as I remember. I would say put them in separately just my two cents though that was quite awhile ago we did that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version