1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

Reproduction firewall pad discussion - Not year specific

<< < (2/3) > >>

ruppstang:
Here you go. I restored this one two years ago.
Marty

Bossbill:
Thanks Marty!

Can you tell us all about the details? That diagonal embossment is stock?
I've haven't seen a good one in over 20 years, so I'm all ears!

67gtasanjose:
This thread sounds like one from a couple years ago! As mentioned already, even a few years later, a "correct looking" reproduction firewall pad is NOT YET made for San Jose built cars. (My understanding is that this covers all of the classic years)
Link to another thread where I ended up repairing my original one. (VERY nasty and time-consuming, mine had been eaten partially by rodents and soaked in mouse urine). It came out pretty good actually. If you locate a used original that needs some help, this other thread might be a good read for you.
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9343.0

ruppstang:
As Richard said there is much information in the thread he highlighted that will help you. The pad I pictured is original in every way including the diagonal line except for the repairs that I made. FYI I have sold good originals for $700 so it is worth your time to restore a original.   

Bossbill:
Somehow I missed the other thread in my search. Thanks -- good details there.

My wife deals with large mold making. She has most of the stuff needed to make molds, do castings, make mother molds, etc. She suggested that I start from scratch as the original pad appears to be very close to the contours of the firewall and not as badly contoured as the repops. Make a mold of the firewall and use that as a basis for a plug.
We'll have to see where this takes me.

I'm currently re-sleeving my door light wire harness as the repop stuff is just gnawing at my sensibilities. This place has done that to me!

Maybe Jeff can merge these threads?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version