Author Topic: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Door Tag  (Read 679 times)

Offline bullitt68

1968 San Jose GT 390 Door Tag
« on: March 08, 2020, 06:32:39 PM »
Just checking as I removed my door tag to paint my doors. I understand that Marti Autoworks has the correct rivets as well as reproduction door tags. Is there a special rivet tool to use to install the rivet tags. Also what would be the better route to go with the door tag. Re-install my original tag or use a reproduction. Normally I do not remove tags, but checked here on the forum first and was advised to remove it to do a better job on the door. Obviously different people have different opinions when it comes to removing and or replacing tags. Unfortunanlty my tag won't clean up as someone already over sprayed the tag during a previous restoration. Perhaps I can tape it off and steel wool it a bit and see how that works. Any suggestions?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 06:34:43 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Door Tag
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 07:32:27 PM »
Just checking as I removed my door tag to paint my doors. I understand that Marti Autoworks has the correct rivets as well as reproduction door tags. Is there a special rivet tool to use to install the rivet tags. Also what would be the better route to go with the door tag. Re-install my original tag or use a reproduction.

I would suggest using the original tag as yours doesn't look real bad and will look better after some careful cleaning

Pretty simple task - just need to expand the rivet one the tag and rivets are back in place. Here is one method a members used. I've been able to do the same with a long punch and hand/arm pressure

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2868.msg15243#msg15243

Unfortunanlty my tag won't clean up as someone already over sprayed the tag during a previous restoration. Perhaps I can tape it off and steel wool it a bit and see how that works. Any suggestions?

Work a small area a little at a time. Suggest some fine polish working on a focused area to remove the top (overspray) layer. Some cleaner or polish around the stampings with a small toothbrush and the rest masked off then once all done a quick once over to balance out the over all look. Just takes time and patience but worth it to save and improve the original. IMHO  Maybe others have something that worked well for them 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 07:34:16 PM »
I would suggest using the original tag as yours doesn't look real bad and will look better after some careful cleaning

Pretty simple task - just need to expand the rivet one the tag and rivets are back in place. Here is one method a members used. I've been able to do the same with a long punch and hand/arm pressure

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2868.msg15243#msg15243

Work a small area a little at a time. Suggest some fine polish working on a focused area to remove the top (overspray) layer. Some cleaner or polish around the stampings with a small toothbrush and the rest masked off then once all done a quick once over to balance out the over all look. Just takes time and patience but worth it to save and improve the original. IMHO  Maybe others have something that worked well for them

Thanks Jeff I will try that/ Hopefully the tape will not pull of any paint when I lift it off. I use painters tape which generally does not stick too much
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 07:52:09 PM »
Thanks Jeff I will try that/ Hopefully the tape will not pull of any paint when I lift it off. I use painters tape which generally does not stick too much

Use painters masking tape the blue stuff and take the strip and daub it (stick it) across your chest to your t shirt before you apply it. It will decrease some of the adhesive abilities ( don't care in this application if you pick up some lint in the process) - daub it a couple of times if you feel like it.

Just what I've found helpful in some situations 
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 07:54:38 PM »
Use painters masking tape the blue stuff and take the strip and daub it (stick it) across your chest to your t shirt before you apply it. It will decrease some of the adhesive abilities ( don't care in this application if you pick up some lint in the process) - daub it a couple of times if you feel like it.

Thanks Jeff will do
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 03:01:13 AM »

Hi Jeff I tried to clean up the door tag as suggested. It turned out ok imo. Question is, will mine look good enough or would the reproduction be a better choice now that you see the the tag cleaned up. I noticed 2 differences between the original tag and the Marti Tag. Just curious why the Marti tag has "Special Performance Vehicle" on the tag and also it is missing the copyright  in the Ford circle. Obviously a dead give away to judges etc. Also not sure if it is just the photo, but the Marti stamps look recessed opposed to raised on the original tag.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 03:59:41 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 02:12:28 PM »
The sample you found is for a different application. If ordered you should receive one that matches your original

In my experience judges ( if that is going to be your standard) will have no issue with a decent original over a reproduction. Reproductions always seem to bring with them the question of why did you change out the original .... did you change a color or an option. Think you will find most would choose returning the original back to the car once done unless its really mangled or damaged
Jeff Speegle

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 02:19:16 PM »
+1 to jeff's judging statements.
5F09C331248

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 02:41:49 PM »
The sample you found is for a different application. If ordered you should receive one that matches your original

In my experience judges ( if that is going to be your standard) will have no issue with a decent original over a reproduction. Reproductions always seem to bring with them the question of why did you change out the original .... did you change a color or an option. Think you will find most would choose returning the original back to the car once done unless its really mangled or damaged

Thanks Jeff great information
Mike

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 04:47:43 PM »
I replace my door data tag with a reproduction.  I framed my original with my "original" copy of the Marti report.  I have never been questioned about it.  If I decide to sell the car the purchaser with get the original data plate and the Marti report.

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 06:05:07 PM »
I replace my door data tag with a reproduction.  I framed my original with my "original" copy of the Marti report.  I have never been questioned about it.  If I decide to sell the car the purchaser with get the original data plate and the Marti report.

Danny

Good point Danny
Mike