Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

Here is a hard one to figure

<< < (3/3)

dearbornshow1968:
Makes sense.  Just want to know   Not sure what I will do with it   I have the ford dealers master parts books   I tried and failed to find a listing for a one fits all application FE distributor   you can for the C9AF-U carb 
   Thanks for your help Bob  You are probably right   

Wonder how you got access to one of these...  How would you reference it and order it ???  Maybe thru auto zone or something    JUST DON'T KNOW 

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: dearbornshow1968 on August 01, 2017, 01:18:42 PM ---Makes sense.  Just want to know   Not sure what I will do with it   I have the ford dealers master parts books   I tried and failed to find a listing for a one fits all application FE distributor   you can for the C9AF-U carb 
   Thanks for your help Bob  You are probably right   

Wonder how you got access to one of these... How would you reference it and order it ???  Maybe thru auto zone or something    JUST DON'T KNOW

--- End quote ---
As I said before you would order one by application (back in the day at Ford) and that generic distributor is what you got. They did duel point Hipo distributors that way too .Those used generic vacuum advance cases and put duel points in them  with a metal cover over the advance arm opening . Metal tags identified those too. Yes, auto zone is one place I have heard others say sells a replacement version. Maybe there are others.  I know of a few people who order the Autozone generic versions to rob parts off of to help restore their vintage versions. Ford probably stopped selling the generic version over the counter decades ago  (I don't know for sure )and left it up to the after market to fill the need. I never paid attention to them because they were not usable in the generic form for what my interests require. They do not have much monetary value. As far as what it is good for refer to Jims legitimate although partially tongue in cheek suggestion .

svo2scj:
Ford continued to service the Dearborn Marine (FE) and the Industial motors (360/361/390/428) WELL into the time of "motorcraft" castings.   There is just as good of a chance that this is a frankenstien (housing/advance) and that the original aplications aren't even car.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: dearbornshow1968 on August 01, 2017, 11:45:39 AM ---................ It is probably a one fits all FE distributor    But let me ask you .. All FE single point distributors are the same   Where the difference is in the Vacuum advance.............

--- End quote ---

Typically there are  differences in size/weight of the weights and rating of the springs also between applications originally 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version