Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

Here is a hard one to figure

<< < (2/3) > >>

dearbornshow1968:
I understand regardless of value   What I am saying is this distributor was purchased and installed in the 428 torino . Is it a Universal distributor for all FE motors ??  Some how it was sold to this guy  The only ID on the distributor is the DOZF-12131A 18   If it was sold by ford after 1970, what would you use for a search to order this   The 121217 distributor application which is normally used to order is blank   What is this and who sold it  If Ford did how do you order it

PS...... I understand the box number may differ from the known part number   So if you ordered a 428 4 spd distributor you may find this in the box ????  It may be so   Has anyone else ever heard or seen this 

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: dearbornshow1968 on August 01, 2017, 10:39:12 AM ---I understand regardless of value   What I am saying is this distributor was purchased and installed in the 428 torino . Is it a Universal distributor for all FE motors ??  Some how it was sold to this guy  The only ID on the distributor is the DOZF-12131A 18   If it was sold by ford after 1970, what would you use for a search to order this   The 121217 distributor application which is normally used to order is blank   What is this and who sold it  If Ford did how do you order it

PS...... I understand the box number may differ from the known part number   So if you ordered a 428 4 spd distributor you may find this in the box ????  It may be so   Has anyone else ever heard or seen this

--- End quote ---
Yes , I have seen it before. It is a generic FE distributor . Generic in that it is design to work on numerous FE applications. It is set up with a nominal advance curve that may not be specific for any given application but will work on many . I don't believe it has ever been stamped for identification because the trademark is too crisp to indicate it has been through a tumbler IMHO. I have seen other of these types of distributors identified instead with metal tags attached on the vacuum advance pod screw. Maybe the tag was remove on this one. They have been known to get in the way and cut skin .  It wasn't too many years ago that people were still getting these generic dist for trucks etc.. Maybe you still can. I haven't checked. I wouldn't be surprised if you could.FYI engineering numbers stamped on parts are typically different then inventory part numbers. There are other replacement parts that evolved over the years Ford to be more generic and fit more applications in the pursuit of less parts on the shelves. Carburetors comes to mind.

Bob Gaines:
I forgot to add that if you wanted to order another and the metal tag was missing you would go by the application and not by the number on the tag (engineering number). Most parts are typically indexed (or st least easiest to look up) by application and not  by engineering or even by the part number. Just try giving a mfg part number to cashier at any of the big auto part chain stores. :)

dearbornshow1968:
Hi Bob  I totally agree   It is probably a one fits all FE distributor    But let me ask you .. All FE single point distributors are the same   Where the difference is in the Vacuum advance.  So if this did have a metal tag then would the part number indicate it was setup (vacuum advance)  for a 428 4 speed  or whatever was needed would have a different advance and different tag number
   Just so you know   I looked for a part number on the advance. none was found   

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: dearbornshow1968 on August 01, 2017, 11:45:39 AM ---Hi Bob  I totally agree   It is probably a one fits all FE distributor    But let me ask you .. All FE single point distributors are the same   Where the difference is in the Vacuum advance.  So if this did have a metal tag then would the part number indicate it was setup (vacuum advance)  for a 428 4 speed  or whatever was needed would have a different advance and different tag number
   Just so you know   I looked for a part number on the advance. none was found   

--- End quote ---
As I mentioned before it most likely has a generic advance too. It would not be optimal for a given application but nominal enough to work in many. This is at least what I was told by a local Ford parts old school manager/racer and Ford performance interchange master  :D ( Earl Blosser many years now retired) . I took it as a informed opinion. The vac advance pod on your distributor is a modern equivalent of the 60's version(first gen at least IMO)and wouldn't  have any number the would be relavent to the application. Most likely identification was on a metal tag that has been long since removed IMHO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version