1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

1966 factory air. Video, help diagnose problem. *Resolved*

<< < (2/5) > >>

sed6:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on August 12, 2017, 11:22:13 AM ---On that note about OIL. The crankcase oil CANNOT be checked with a refrigerant charge in the system. A dipstick is used to measure the oil but it has to be checked or filled while the system is not charged.

--- End quote ---

My turn to help you. It can be checked charged, in fact the compressor can be completely removed from a charged system with little freon loss. Here's how.

rocket289k:

--- Quote from: sed6 on August 12, 2017, 05:53:39 PM ---This brace?

https://www.johnsmustang.com/1965-1966-mustang-a-c-compressor-brace-anti-vibration

--- End quote ---

Yes that's the brace you need.  The anti-vibration bar secures the compressor to the intake manifold.  I didn't hear any knocking or other noises that a bad bearing would normally create.  In perfect working condition there is always a little bit of vibration in the foot board and pedals as the compressor cycles on (given the design of that AC compressor).  Not having the brace in place would definitely make any vibration worse and could be contributing to your belt slap too. 

PS - I noticed that you have an Monte Carlo bar installed.  I do not know if the AC brace and the Monte Carlo bar can be installed (without modification) at the same time.

Regards,

Ron

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: sed6 on August 12, 2017, 06:08:50 PM ---My turn to help you. It can be checked charged, in fact the compressor can be completely removed from a charged system with little freon loss. Here's how.

--- End quote ---

True. I did think of that too but didn't know it had been written down in the Service manuals. Thanks for adding the source. Mostly, I was concerned that if a person didn't understand or know that the oil service port/fitting was under pressure, they might be in for a surprise or injury. I amended my previous post ;)

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: sed6 on August 12, 2017, 06:00:48 PM ---Here's my readings after replacing the receiver/dryer, a vaccumm to -27 inches and 28 oz of r-22. If there was any oil in left in my lines, which I doube since the system was open for 10 years, could it have overfilled the compressor and could too much oil cause vibes?

--- End quote ---

Doubtful you have too much oil by your description. I'm not sure how well the R-22 works in these vintage systems and what your readings ought to be when full. I can speak of R-12 configuration or conversion to R-134a from experience. Basing my understanding from experience, it looks like your readings are off on the low end. Problem being that if you add more freon (for example) you will raise the high side too. If the high side is too high, the belt will slap harder (compressor works harder).

If you are happy with the air temperature (cold enough) try just the brace. FWIW, it will never be as quiet as modern systems so if these modifications of the adding idler pulley and the missing brace help, it may be all you can do. This all assuming (since you didn't mention) the needles on your gauges are not bouncing erratically.

sed6:
Thanks! I said r-22, oops, meant r-12. I am quite happy with the temp!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version