1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

1967 seat belt warning light relay

<< < (2/2)

67gta289:
I've seen both styles, and have some on hand. Unfortunately I don't know the origins.  Maybe I can look at date codes which might help. John

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Hipo giddyup on October 20, 2017, 01:07:52 PM --- I just went to the garage and replaced the seatbelt warning light relay on my 67. To my surprise it was a cylindrical type relay with autolite stamping and C7AB part number. Haven’t seen these available so I’m assuming this was an early style or oddball 67 year feature? I did replace it with a C7AB relay but the rectangular shaped version. Either way the seatbelt light works fine now.
  Here are a few pics of the cylindrical 67 relay, which I believe to be original to this car, and the rectangular type which in this case is an NOS D2AB model for comparison.

--- End quote ---
Typically if the same engineering number on two parts and one is a different looking part it could be explained by a different vendor. I have also seen the two types but could never determine if it was a early late vs different vendor. I am leaning towards different vendor.

Hipo giddyup:
That makes good sense Bob. Maybe even a Metuchen thing with one vendor to another, which is where this car was assembled.?

Andrew@MagMustangs:
The engineering numbers differ only by the suffix when rectangular is also assembly-line C7AB- version. Rectangular is -B1 and cylindrical is -B2. I can say I have only found the cylindrical relay on earlier 67 and maybe 68 cars. Never found one on a 69-70 car, only rectangular. Have found rectangular on 66 cars with seat belt light but marked Tung-Sol without printed engineering number. Early versus Late wouldn't seem logical in that scenario. Maybe the cylindrical version is just from a second supplier for a certain time period to pick up some slack from the first supplier? 2nd supplier might have provided only certain assembly plants?

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: Hipo giddyup on October 20, 2017, 08:32:43 PM ---That makes good sense Bob. Maybe even a Metuchen thing with one vendor to another, which is where this car was assembled.?

--- End quote ---
For 67 I have seen both types used at SJ. Enough at various times during production that I couldn’ t Contribute it to a early late thing for sure. It could be the same thing at other plants but I havnt studied them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version