1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Shelby

67 Shelby Trunk Paint Discussion

<< < (2/2)

Bossbill:
The red Mustang pic shows the light primer/sealer really well on the rear side of the quarters and where the valance attaches. Neat.

And the SA parking lot picture is really telling.
First, it shows a white cover over the black car in the middle. Another cover is visible at 10:00. Did it rain that day at the factory delivery center (I think, half in jest)?

Also the state of the rear hinges. Not a single car has its hinges in the "up" position. The torsion bar is visible, but is not engaged to hold up the hinge. This may perhaps explain the lack of paint on the underside of the hinge. It would be difficult for a painter at the factory to reach that far under. A car with a trunk lid attached during paint would be the opposite -- paint on the underside but none on the mating surface.

Lastly, the paint behind where an end cap normally would shield paint. Another excellent detail I will replicate.

In case you wonder I do have pics of the disassembly, but the rear pics had horrible flash bounce in the cap area, were pics of the area after paint strip  and the rest of the pics were double exposed. I've tried to photoshop them back, but that's very difficult.

When I started this restoration I thought I'd just "restore the car". Now I'm deep into restoring the car in the original layers (as much as possible).

Thanks for he KD explantion and kudos on the SA lot pic!

J_Speegle:
Believe the trunk hinges were held in the up position given the spray patterns, then after painting the spring disengaged and both laid down for transportation purposes. If not the paint on the springs, hinges and insulators/tootsie rolls would have been much different

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version