1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

Is this how to decode sheet metal?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tiny:
Hi all, I have a 66 GT Coupe with body stamps indicating the metal was made/stamped at Dearborn. My car's VIN said it was made in San Jose.  Is it the case that the manufacture of various body parts from the different locations would be distributed to other assembly locations?

thanks

carlite65:
yes you are correct. there were at least 6 stamping plants. chicago, buffalo, cleveland, dearborn, monroe mi. and woodhaven ohio.

Tiny:
great thank you

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Tiny on December 07, 2017, 09:49:25 PM ---Hi all, I have a 66 GT Coupe with body stamps indicating the metal was made/stamped at Dearborn. My car's VIN said it was made in San Jose.  Is it the case that the manufacture of various body parts from the different locations would be distributed to other assembly locations?

thanks

--- End quote ---

Certain stamping plants were set up to stamp or preassemble sub assembles each was assigned to be the supplier to certain Ford, Lincoln and Mercury plants  (lot more than just the three that made Mustangs) and then overflow or as needed to other plants. Because of this you can see patterns of where certain body panels came from for San Jose (for example) during different parts of the production year - establishing a pattern or trend

67gta289:

--- Quote from: carlite65 on December 07, 2017, 09:53:08 PM ---yes you are correct. there were at least 6 stamping plants. chicago, buffalo, cleveland, dearborn, monroe mi. and woodhaven ohio.

--- End quote ---

The last one listed is Woodhaven Michigan, not Ohio.  The Woodhaven and Dearborn stamping is still in production, but Monroe closed about 10 years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version