Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Process used to restore my original two piece Kelsey Hayes Rotors

<< < (5/5)

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on February 08, 2018, 06:06:25 AM ---Apologies for misinformation. I am surprised this detail is allowable when other similar details are scrutinized. My "default setting" must be more or less 'Thoroughbred' at this site and my opinions seem to be higher than what judging requires on the different (MCA) classes. .............

--- End quote ---

Yes that is always an issue with just focusing on judging since different people will place different values on different details and why we normally keep those discussions in a different section of the site. Much easier to focus on how the cars were built IMHO - makes the answers easier since there is a better defined measuring tool than to try and hit what at some times seems like a moving target. Judges and just observers of your finished product should have an issue with as the car was built   ;)     Don't want to get too far in the weeds on judging practices, tendencies, human nature, and so on and get off point in this thread

Bossbill:

--- Quote from: carlite65 on February 06, 2018, 10:45:10 PM ---I plan on using sand to blast my KH rotors.  Is sand to coarse for this job?

--- End quote ---

Healthwise, sand is the worst thing to use.

Breathing crystalline silica ranks right up there with asbestos.

amishtechnology:

--- Quote from: CharlesTurner on February 06, 2018, 11:22:21 PM ---Also, do not sandblast any parts, it will totally ruin the surface and open up the metal pores.  Use glass bead or comparable.  Just be careful of media with free silicas.

--- End quote ---

Charles: Can you elaborate on the risk from sandblasting? Are you talking about the surface of the rotor in particular? And would you have any concerns about sandblasting if they’re going to be turned anyway? Thanks.

Bossbill:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on February 08, 2018, 06:06:25 AM ---Apologies for misinformation. I am surprised this detail is allowable when other similar details are scrutinized. My "default setting" must be more or less 'Thoroughbred' at this site and my opinions seem to be higher than what judging requires on the different (MCA) classes. My point was along the lines of painting verses not painting surfaces in relation to how it appears, as compared to assemblyline items. I like the protection of paint but personally much more impressed with the finer details of maintaining the original finishes. Again...apologies.

--- End quote ---
Richard -- I agree with you, but as stated, it's a personal decision as how far down the thouroughbred trail you go.
I've decided to go down the trail of all original finishes as well, but it adds a lot of time, is more difficult to do and is much harder to maintain -- especially if driven.

I think it's important that the differences be discussed.

Either way, nice job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version