Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Process used to restore my original two piece Kelsey Hayes Rotors

<< < (2/5) > >>

Morsel:

--- Quote from: OldGuy on February 01, 2018, 10:39:19 AM ---What blast media did you use to "clean" the rotor pieces?

--- End quote ---

It was an aluminum oxide that I got from Harbor Freight, I was looking for something a little more course then I normally use because of it being cast and having so many rough edges and pits anyway. Then I set my blasting pressure at about 65PSI to avoid pounding it with too much pressure... worked well but took my time on each piece.

Jason

OldGuy:
Thanks again, Jason. I knew that the media had to be more aggressive than glass beads.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Frank

Bob Gaines:
Looks great.Thanks for posting.

Morsel:
Excellent, glad everyone likes them... Hope this helps people in the future.

Jason

evantugby:
I am in the process of restoring my KH rotors using this process.  I had the studs pressed out today and removed the seals, races and bearings.  Should I replace these parts with a specific brand other than what is sold at a Auto Zone or Oreilly's? 

I plan on using sand to blast my KH rotors.  Is sand to coarse for this job?

The OP uses a grayish color to paint his rotors.  Is this the concours correct?  Wouldn't it have been bare metal?  If so, why not clean up the rotors really well and put a micro oil on the non-brake surfaces to protect from rusting?   

Minimum Thickness:  Rotors say .780 is minimum.  Had mine measured at .825.  Hopefully I won't need to turn them. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version