Author Topic: Smoke from rear brakes  (Read 926 times)

Offline modrisco

Smoke from rear brakes
« on: August 21, 2018, 09:53:59 AM »
New brake lines, wheel cylinders, shoes, . Test drive and left rear drum smoke,
 wheel wont turn by hand. Next morning wheel will turn but tight. Should I just back of adjuster a bit and be OK or is there something else to check?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Smoke from rear brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »
too tight? Perhaps yes. It also wouldn't hurt to pull the drum off and look to make sure there isn't any 90 weight leaking out of the axle seal too.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline modrisco

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 11:06:49 AM »
Will do. Thanks for the reply.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 06:12:53 PM »
Back off the adjustment until the drum just can be easily removed and reinstalled. Then make sure the other side is adjusted the same. Also make sure that you don't have the adjusters swapped. They move downwards to tighten the adjustment, viewing the adjuster with the drum removed from the wheel side. The side that was not smoking likely was not doing any braking. Obviously check for oil while you are in there too.

New brake lines, wheel cylinders, shoes, . Test drive and left rear drum smoke,
 wheel wont turn by hand. Next morning wheel will turn but tight. Should I just back of adjuster a bit and be OK or is there something else to check?
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 06:50:22 AM »
Take the drums off and inspect them. Make sure the adjusters when the wheel is turned towards the floor cause the shoes to expand out.  Also be sure you used grease on the shoe pads on the backing plate.  I have noted the shoes are no longer arched, so they have to seat in and be readjusted usually in short order.

-Keith

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 01:23:32 PM »
You could also make sure the emergency brake cables move freely and uniformly on both wheels.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline modrisco

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 01:34:56 PM »
I backed off the adjusters and car rolls easy. Emergency brakes not stuck(have all new cables) Used synthetic  grease on backing plates when assembled. No oil on shoes. It looks like I just set them up too tight. Thanks for all the replies.