Author Topic: 67 Big block shock tower reinforcement question  (Read 2094 times)

1967 eight barrel

Re: 67 Big block shock tower reinforcement question
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 05:21:45 AM »
Another one. Better quality,

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 05:48:42 AM »
Yes the welds were not something any welder would want to credit for even in the days of arch welding and the buzz boxes. They didn't seem to get better through the year so not sure how they (the handful of workers)  or the situation that might have affected the final product. Other plants didn't look much better from most that I've seen

This was the year that lead up to the 68 (production year) strike  maybe some workers were making a statement. The strikes were pretty regular at every 5-10 years.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:51:00 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 06:40:55 AM »
Jeff, once again, not Concours on my vehicle but I welded all the way around, out at the frame where the well is below the control arm and to the frame rail. There was a crack about two inches long as well, so I drilled a hole at each end of the crack, then metal finished all the welds. It's MUCH better than Ford did it.  At the time I didn't know those terrible welds were done at Ford.   Hopefully, there aren't future issues. 512 HP and 498lbs of torque is hard on a single torque box..

-Keith

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 03:24:27 PM »
Think the OP understood what he was asking since he included a picture. The stitch, full or tack welding wasn't done on R codes in 68 since they didn't have those smaller inner plates - neither would the later S codes. The new design/reinforcement eliminated the need for that. The extra hand welding was done on some J codes also in 68

67's with modified front shock towers would also include most K code Mustangs also. There is always one odd ball  ::)

I thought that since the OP posted a picture of stitch welding AND the plate that there was some confusion about terms.

The stitch welding on my SJ car isn't that bad...
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 07:50:44 PM »
Bill, your vehicle a late production? I think those of us with the early production cars have some of the worst attempts at welding.

-Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 07:54:38 PM »
Bill, your vehicle a late production? I think those of us with the early production cars have some of the worst attempts at welding.

From his signature ;)

Concours 3/2/67 GT350
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 04:11:51 AM »
Not as early as mine.= ;D  I should stop doing this on my cell phone.....

-Keith