Author Topic: wire covering in trunk  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Bossman963

wire covering in trunk
« on: August 30, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
I was wondering what everyone is using or who does or where can you get that cloth type covering for the wires in trunk area- mine are toast ???

I was thinking of using hockey stick tape as have done in the past- any info would be helpful
thx Mike
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: wire covering in trunk
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 01:33:51 PM »
Here is one option:
http://www.homeprofasteners.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=41_118_186

As you can imagine the hard part is removing and then replacing terminals as the won't fit through the harness.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 02:21:22 PM »
I was wondering what everyone is using or who does or where can you get that cloth type covering for the wires in trunk area- mine are toast ???

I was thinking of using hockey stick tape as have done in the past- any info would be helpful
thx Mike
Some opt for the repro wiring which comes with the weave covering already on it as new ,however the repros come as a dark black weave where the original was more of gray with other colors mixed in. There are companies that will reweave the covering over your existing wiring. You have to request the color needed from the re weave companies. There was a forum member that was very happy with his results.  You can do a search on the site .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 02:23:21 PM »
Here is one option:
http://www.homeprofasteners.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=41_118_186

As you can imagine the hard part is removing and then replacing terminals as the won't fit through the harness.
Bill, that would work for theportion on the trunk light or license plate light but not the taillight harness weave material.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 05:18:44 PM »
thx guys for info and will search it out
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 07:57:49 PM »
I bought a few samples to see if I could use it for the hobbyist version of refurbishing tail harnesses, and quickly learned (1) is isn't close to concours and (2) you can't push any connectors through it.  After a short examination, I threw it into a cardboard box of miscellaneous stuff, 'cause I hate to throw anything out.  That was 8 years ago...never been touched since.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »
well midlife if that what you have done and u refurbish the wires-then I guess I will use my son's hockey stick tape

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 11:22:44 AM »
well midlife if that what you have done and u refurbish the wires-then I guess I will use my son's hockey stick tape

Did you look for the thread on where you can send it out? The "hockey stick tape" is such an "old school" sort of an answer...but it is your choice.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 11:27:47 AM »
no, I didn't look for the thread to send out the wiring-  would that be in the resto discussion section?

Yes hockey tape is old school but the car is also old school -LOL

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 12:37:50 PM »
Yes hockey tape is old school -
Properly referred to as "friction tape". That's old school. Yes, we did use friction tape on our hockey sticks.  Yes, we all carried a roll. Yes, we only replaced it when it got too bloody. (You teenagers are all alike.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 01:30:30 PM »
Rhode Island Wiring will re-assemble your tail-light harness with the correct fabric and colors, but expect to pay north of $100. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 01:52:36 PM »
Bill, that would work for theportion on the trunk light or license plate light but not the taillight harness weave material.

Good to know. Thanks Bob.

Rhode Island Wiring will re-assemble your tail-light harness with the correct fabric and colors, but expect to pay north of $100.

That too is good to know. I also need my rear harness redone.
Bill

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 11:31:28 PM »
Sorry about the previous post concerning wire loom weave. I didn't inspect the bookmarked link before posting.

However, I did find an outfit that makes some wire harnesses I've never seen as being available.
For instance instrument wire harness for 67 tach and non-tach cars. Same with the forward engine/light harness for tach and non-tach cars.

What interested me was their listing of the rear harness for 67 Shelby that stops right where the Shelby light pigtail begins:
https://www.lectriclimited.com/rear-body-harness-107140

And yes, they also sell the regular production harness for 67s.

I'm contacting them to see if they have a closeup of the rear harness.
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 01:10:58 PM »
Sorry about the previous post concerning wire loom weave. I didn't inspect the bookmarked link before posting.

However, I did find an outfit that makes some wire harnesses I've never seen as being available.
For instance instrument wire harness for 67 tach and non-tach cars. Same with the forward engine/light harness for tach and non-tach cars.

What interested me was their listing of the rear harness for 67 Shelby that stops right where the Shelby light pigtail begins:
https://www.lectriclimited.com/rear-body-harness-107140

And yes, they also sell the regular production harness for 67s.

I'm contacting them to see if they have a closeup of the rear harness.
FYI the Shelby taillight harness pigtail that is reproduced is not like original in that the green and black wire gauge is too thin compared to original on the wires coming out of the bulb plug. You are better off IMHO sourcing Cougar taillight harness's and making it up yourself . Remember that both sides of the Shelby harness use the Green and black wires and not just one side like the Cougar. That means you need two separate Cougar taillight  harness's to make one Shelby harness set .

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 05:17:45 PM »
When dealing with Shelbys it's hard to separate where the Ford part starts and the Shelby part begins. I wasn't too clear on that so I'll add to the discussion.

For those not aware, in 67 Shelby workers lopped off the Ford plugins for the Ford tail lights  and added Cougar sections for the 3 bulbs in each Cougar light assembly.
So the front half of a complete "Shelby rear harness" is all Ford (including the braiding) and the rear portions are Shelby.

The vendor I mentioned, Lectric Limited, offers many different harnesses for 67 Mustangs. Quite a few I have not seen offered before.
They offer a complete Mustang rear harness (with braid) and it comes with Mustang tail light plugs.
But for a bit less they offer a Ford rear harness (with braid), but they don't include the Ford Mustang tail light plugs. They end the wire without any plug. The link in my previous post is to that harness.
This last harness assumes you have a good Shelby (Cougar) end assembly at home and just wish to replace the Ford portion of the harness. Since I have a Mustang harness with frayed braid and the Shelby ends are intact, this suites my needs perfectly.

I didn't know about the reproduction Shelby harness, so for those that need both sides of the harness, pay heed to Bob's warning.

Bill