Author Topic: wire covering in trunk  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: wire covering in trunk
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 09:14:24 PM »
When dealing with Shelbys it's hard to separate where the Ford part starts and the Shelby part begins. I wasn't too clear on that so I'll add to the discussion.

For those not aware, in 67 Shelby workers lopped off the Ford plugins for the Ford tail lights  and added Cougar sections for the 3 bulbs in each Cougar light assembly.
So the front half of a complete "Shelby rear harness" is all Ford (including the braiding) and the rear portions are Shelby.

The vendor I mentioned, Lectric Limited, offers many different harnesses for 67 Mustangs. Quite a few I have not seen offered before.
They offer a complete Mustang rear harness (with braid) and it comes with Mustang tail light plugs.
But for a bit less they offer a Ford rear harness (with braid), but they don't include the Ford Mustang tail light plugs. They end the wire without any plug. The link in my previous post is to that harness.
This last harness assumes you have a good Shelby (Cougar) end assembly at home and just wish to replace the Ford portion of the harness. Since I have a Mustang harness with frayed braid and the Shelby ends are intact, this suites my needs perfectly.

I didn't know about the reproduction Shelby harness, so for those that need both sides of the harness, pay heed to Bob's warning.
Just inquire about the color of the braiding of the main tail light harness before making a decision. I would rather have my original re braided a close to original color then a non original color a repro set might have . The difference is very visible once you are aware what is correct and what is wrong. That is just me . Others my think differently.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 01:14:23 PM »
OK, guys again thanks and a final question as I'm going to send my trunk wiring to Rhode Island wiring.

To confirm that I have a few wiring harnesses and some have a separate grounding wire with an end that attached to the light bulb socket and the other end doesn't have 2- square 4 prong plug on it- so that a 69 wiring???

The 70 wiring should have a grounding wire built into the bulb socket and the other end has a ( that connect near the main harness near driver seat)- 4 prong connection that one red and 1 is white???

If pics are needed as can post them if that will help
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 07:25:35 PM »
Red and white 4 pin square connectors are 1970; red and black 3 pin flat connectors are 1969's. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »
thanks again for info
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 08:19:42 PM »
Here is my 67 SJ fastback taillight harness (see car info below) weave and color.

This section was hidden in the A-piller and is the best sample I have.
The light color appears to be khaki and the dark color is a very dark hunter green.
I plan on going to the box store and I will get some color panels from the paint section that most closely approximate the colors in natural light.
I'll send the color panels to Rhode Island and Narragansett Reproductions via mail along with the weave pattern.

Note that a wire re-weave/braid does not require the terminal or ends to be removed. The machine that does the weave is shaped a bit like a funnel collector with around a dozen bobbins surrounding it.
The wire gets fed into the collector as the braiding begins. Any wire or bundle that needs to exit the braid can do so by stopping the machine and pulling the wire or bundle out the side and then restarting the machine.

[edit to specify taillight since this IS the trunk harness]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:24:48 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »
well had Rhode Island wiring do the wrap on my trunk wires and they did a great job and yes as stated before it was over $100.00 but worth it