Author Topic: Heater Box paint?  (Read 1886 times)

Offline sparky65

Heater Box paint?
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:57:51 PM »
My heater box is a little scuffed up and around the door there is some rust stains.  Has anyone tried to paint one?  I assume you would have to get the color matched since I doubt there is a rattle can close.
If painting isn't a good option has anyone at least found a way to remove the rust stains?
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Heater Box paint?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »
Are you talking about painting the case or the door?  You can bead-blast the case and clear-coat it if you have stains in the body.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sparky65

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:43:53 PM »
Are you talking about painting the case or the door?  You can bead-blast the case and clear-coat it if you have stains in the body.

I was originally asking about the case.  Wouldn't bead-blasting turn it white like the scratches are now?  But now that you brought up the door what do you do about the rivets that hold the door to the case?  Do you remove and replace or paint around them?  Also the handle on the door seems to have something thicker on it.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:07:52 PM »
Sure, blasting will turn it bright, but clearing will get it back the right shade.  I would recommend glass bead if you do it.

Regarding rivets, I leave them in place and re-finish as necessary.  Usually they can be taped up and the original plating saved.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 11:58:38 PM »
The little handle has some type of coating on it, rubber coating, just cover that up when blasting or don't hit it too hard.

You can spray the rivets and everything semi gloss black and go back with a small brush and paint them with some testors aluminum paint.

8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC