Author Topic: underbody/wheelwell sounddeadner  (Read 2467 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

underbody/wheelwell sounddeadner
« on: February 22, 2019, 08:42:14 PM »
Has there ever been photos of equipment used in applying this nasty stuff? Asking in GENERAL, no plant or year. Just asking.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: underbody/wheelwell sounddeadner
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 05:13:34 PM »
Believe I have some I may have some from later years.  Of course they likely show better personal protection,  though not to the level we would see today.

recall a "gumby suit" with hood and face protection - not what I would expect for the 60's when comparing the workers to those we do have of painters of the period.

ALlot I would think had to do with how far a way the worker could get from the target.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 04:47:08 PM »
Sorry, not what the workers wore, but the spray equipment.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 06:04:16 PM »

Not your mistake. For some reason I focused only on the workers personal protection (if you would call it that) and not the application tool. Let me see if I've got a picture
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 02:38:29 PM »

Equipment would likely differ depended on what sound deadener was being applied. Trunk front wheel wells, interior door, interior quarter panels, rear wheel wells and inner quarter panels to name some of them.

Only picture I could come up with is from a proof of a set of negatives from likely 65 Dearborn Assembly plant.  This worker looks like he is using a long wand with an angle head to spray in and up to apply the sound deadener to the rear wheel well. This is likely, IMHO the same worker and tool that he would have applied the sound deadener to the trunk quarter panel surfaces at the same station.

As anticipated he lacks much of what would be expected in the years that follow as far as personal protective equipment. Has a fixture that held a pad up covering his nose, a cap, some glasses (he's not using), gloves and coveralls

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 08:53:18 PM »
I wonder what kind of pumping action is used. Is under pressure like spray paint? I am guessing not because of all the splatter like trying to do it at home. I think it might be pressurized by a mechanical pump, much like a airless system. Less splatter and maybe easier to control because of a narrower pattern. Maybe?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 06:10:28 PM »
I wonder what kind of pumping action is used. Is under pressure like spray paint? I am guessing not because of all the splatter like trying to do it at home. I think it might be pressurized by a mechanical pump, much like a airless system. Less splatter and maybe easier to control because of a narrower pattern. Maybe?

Believe you are correct. many other processes were hydraulically plumbed. Things like welding fixtures for one
Jeff Speegle