Author Topic: 69-70 Cowl vent grilles overspray etc  (Read 949 times)

Offline carm

69-70 Cowl vent grilles overspray etc
« on: June 22, 2019, 06:15:48 PM »
Is the cowl vent grill on the car went it gets painted. If so we should get body color overspray on the wiper motor and the connecting arms under the cowl.
Is this correct?
1969 GT350 convertible grabber orange
Auto
Built: April 21,1969. Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69-70 Cowl vent grilles overspray etc
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 06:20:44 PM »
Is the cowl vent grill on the car went it gets painted. If so we should get body color overspray on the wiper motor and the connecting arms under the cowl.
Is this correct?
The 69/70 wiper motor and the connecting arms which I think you are referring to given past questions are not installed under the cowl when the body is painted. They are installed after.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 06:22:03 PM »
Is this correct?

Believe original question was for the 65-68 cars so will add that to cut down on confusion

No for 69-70 the cowl cover is not in place and the wipers, wiper motor and wiper cover when the exterior body color and engine compartment black (if built during those periods) were applied.

If the car was a Mach I or Boss they were in place when the hood and cowl black out was applied
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline carm

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 07:25:03 PM »
 I just noticed that this was a 65 -68 posting. Could I ask you to move my post to the proper location or you can erase it and I can repost it, as I wanted more info on this part of the car. I apologize to everybody for any confusion that I may caused.
Auto

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 07:33:52 PM »
I just noticed that this was a 65 -68 posting. Could I ask you to move my post to the proper location or you can erase it and I can repost it, as I wanted more info on this part of the car. I apologize to everybody for any confusion that I may caused.

As mentioned in my post - I added that to the title. But as request will separate your question and move it to an appropriate section
Jeff Speegle

Offline carm

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 08:25:37 PM »
Ok then, if I understand correctly the cowl area of the car is painted body colour. Infact the colour goes past the cowl area and onto the firewall before the engine bay is painted semi gloss black. This cowl area would be well painted with the body colour. Then the wiper motor and connecting arms are installed, before being covered up with the cowl vent grill panel. The cowl vent grill panel would be painted apart from the car and then installed, thus no overspray on the cowl area. When one would look down into the cowl vent panel we would see body color.
Auto

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 11:03:43 PM »
The area below the cowl cover from the firewall to window opening finish would depend on when in 69 and where the car in question was built. For 70 it would be an extension of the engine compartment black above the firewall pinch weld up and over the top surfaces that would later contain the wiper works and be covered with the body colored cowl cover.  Yes that same area would have received a nice coat of body color in 70 and even in 69 on those cars covered with the engine compartment black
Jeff Speegle

Offline carm

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 07:42:54 AM »
This car was built on April 21,1969 and is grabber orange above the firewall pinch weld. Is there a definite date as to when the cowl above the pinch is painted black?
Auto

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »
This car was built on April 21,1969 and is grabber orange above the firewall pinch weld. Is there a definite date as to when the cowl above the pinch is painted black?
There is no definite date I have ever seen published in Ford memos etc. however April 21 would typically be after they started doing the black out at the Dearborn plant.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 03:18:58 PM »

Guess your asking about Dearborn production.  Since we don't have real build dates for all examples we have in picture form we have not been able to determine an exact time and shift and as Bob mentioned Ford did not document this change in writing that we know.

For a April 24 69 car - looking at the pictures of cars from that week it appears that it could have been either way since that is about the change over point using the pictures of unrestored cars.

21D built example

29D built example. Car is a Boss so some of the cowl has some black from paint passing through the cowl cover during that process and someone rattle canned the exposed cowl front edge while the cowl cover was on. So that is why that section is black all these years later IMHO., Larger center black below the cowl cover may be the results of the windshield black out

Unfortunately my 24D built car's original paint was long gone when I got it
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 03:22:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline carm

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 12:50:32 PM »
Would it be safe to assume then, that cars built in late April 69 and certainly in May and onward would have been painted semi gloss black above firewall pinch and you would see this semi gloss black through the cowl grill. For the cars that were built earlier , they would have body color above the pinch and thus we would see body color through the cowl vents.
Is this correct or was this area below cowl cover painted body color regardless.
Auto

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 02:36:53 PM »
Would it be safe to assume then, that cars built in late April 69 and certainly in May and onward would have been painted semi gloss black above firewall pinch and you would see this semi gloss black through the cowl grill. For the cars that were built earlier , they would have body color above the pinch and thus we would see body color through the cowl vents.

Believe we need to limit the response and area of discussion to only Dearborn cars for the moment. With that limitation stated what I'm seeing in the pictures is allto of body color in that area until very late April and the change (based on what I have right now) between that and the first week or so in May

If the car was not a Mach I or Boss 302's then you would likely see through the cowl grill openings body color with some black overspray at the rear area from the windshield edge black out but mostly body color and the unpainted wiper related parts if they can be made out.  On Mach I's and Boss 302's there would be black from painting the cowl cover in place creating black overspray below to soft tiger stripes on things closer like the wiper motor cover

Is this correct or was this area below cowl cover painted body color regardless.

Think that is covered in the statement above

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline carm

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 09:16:24 AM »
Thank you very much. Greatly appreciated
Auto