Author Topic: 67-Instrument issues  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Captain Kent

67-Instrument issues
« on: July 17, 2019, 06:40:43 PM »
Having issues with fuel gauge, temp and pressure. Everything is new (all gauges wiring harnesses and sending units. All three won’t work. Maybe ground, but not sure how to check.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:01:27 PM by J_Speegle »
1967 Lone Star Special. Owned since ‘74
Produced in Dearborn April 7, 67
200 6cyl 3spd
Mustang Monthly; http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1409-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-rare-finds/

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67-Instrument issues
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 07:03:40 PM »
Since everything is having issues yes I think that it might be a grounding or (can't remember if 67 uses one right this moment) a voltage regulator (attached to the back side of the assembly) issue. "Juice" experts will be along any minute to correct me as its likely referred to as a consent voltage regulator or some other term.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 07:37:35 PM »
That is also new. Maybe it's bad.
200 6cyl 3spd
Mustang Monthly; http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1409-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-rare-finds/

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 01:31:35 PM »
I assume the instrument panel has been unscrewed, but is still electrically attached to the dash harness.

To test the CVR you need to make sure the instrument case ground is present on the base screw of the CVR. This wire is black. (This is also the case ground for the panel lights).
The CVR needs a ground to work. You should make sure this ground is good either by using a test light or your VOM. Using your VOM place the red probe on a known good 12V source with the black probe on the CVR ground terminal. You can use this ground in further tests. If the ground is not good you cannot continue with these test.

Ford used the same color going into and coming out out of the CVR, so we will use number of wires.
The single black/green wire going into the constant voltage regulator (CVR) is 12V (switched power).
The double black/green wire coming out is regulated power to the gauges.
The CVR pulses the 12V coming in to create an output voltage that averages about 5V.  On an analog voltmeter/ohm/meter (VOM) the needle constantly swings around 5V.

To test input to the CVR, red probe on single wire on CVR; black to chassis ground = 12V on VOM.
To test output from CVR, red probe on double black/green wire on CVR; black to chassis ground = about 5V average on needle swings. You can also test for the 5V average at the gauge itself.

For the gauges the "ground" is each sender. Each of the senders are just variable resistors to ground.

To test (assuming the CVR works)  simply apply power to the CVR via the Ignition key, ground the sender side of each gauge and the gauge will climb. If each climbs, then the gauge works. This doesn't mean it's accurate -- it just means it functions and if there are issues with the gauge not reading at all with the sender wire attached it is either in the circuit to the sender or the sender itself.

These are the sender colors on each gauge. Remove the colored wire (index below) going to each gauge stud in turn and connect that gauge stud to chassis ground. Then, watch for gauge movement.
Oil=white/red.
Water Temp=red/white.
Gas=yellow/white.

Don't leave the ground attached or you will burn out the gauge.
You only attach it for a few seconds to see if the gauge needle moves.

As you might surmise, you can test each gauge while the instrument panel is in place. Simply ground the plug going into each of the senders by unplugging them and attaching a short test lead and grounding the wire. Turn on the key for a few seconds while watching the gauge being tested.

By doing both tests you can isolate the issue to either the instrument panel side, wiring or sender.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 12:47:33 PM »
Thx Bill, I have to be out of town till next week and will give this a try.

Kent
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 09:28:10 AM »
I would not assume the wires on your new wiring are pinned correctly. Check them against your original wires.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 06:24:18 PM »
I would reinstall the original instrument voltage regulator and the original coolant temp sensor. The reproductions have issues, the originals are bulletproof. The reproduction temp sensors tend to read high, even the Motorcraft ones.

Check to make sure the ground is connected to the panel at both ends, and make sure you have 12V on one wire going to the IVR before reinstalling the dash. Everything needs power and ground or it won't work.. 
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 01:20:05 PM »
I would reinstall the original instrument voltage regulator

I encountered a similar problem a while back and the culprit was the new reproduction voltage regulator. I put the old one back in and everything worked fine.

Offline ls4wires

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 07:57:14 PM »
The voltage regulator on the back of the instrument cluster is supposed to be about 6V. Not real precise.

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 11:31:53 PM »
I believe it's called constant voltage relay and it takes in 12V and give out the necessary 5V to the instruments by pulses.
Normally, when they malfunction, they let 12v go to the instruments which show full tank, overheating etc.
Texas Swede

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 12:03:58 AM »
when they malfunction, they let 12v go to the instruments which show full tank, overheating etc.
Or those gauges don't move at all.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 11:45:46 AM »
If the voltage is twice was is expected, then the current flowing through the gauge/sending unit will be doubled, equivalent to halving the resistance of the circuit with the expected voltage output of 5 volts.  Higher resistance means lower gauge readings, as all of the sending units have reversed resistance (low resistance has the gauge reading high; high resistance has the gauge reading low). 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com