Author Topic: San Jose outer inner fender paint finish  (Read 3203 times)

Offline DM_1964

San Jose outer inner fender paint finish
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:52:12 PM »
What's the correct paint finish to the outer inner fender?
Searching I'm under the impression that it was sprayed black over the red oxide, possibly over body color...
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: San Jose outer inner fender paint finish
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:32:58 PM »
Easiest way to explain it is paint from the edge of that drivers side rear splash shield attachment lip around to the one on the passenger side in engine compartment black. Spray the face of the firewall section visible inside the front wheel well on each side allowing the overspray to mist downward while not bending down ward too much.  Remember that the old spray guns produced maybe 20-30 times the amount of overspray possible with the HVLP guns today.

As you paint the inner fender panels and shock towers with a nice coat of paint with back and forth gun movement spray the outer surface of the frame rail and front cross member allowing overspray onto any mount and panels that hung down ward  and again misting the bottom surface of the front frame rails. Radiator support face would normally be covered well also.  With this pattern the forward and rear vertical surface of the shock towers can get a thinner though full cover of black paint also. This thinner coat can sometimes be found along the underside (shadow) of the inner panel fender lip at the top edge.

There are always differences likely produced by workers doing a little more or a little less effort which could produce runs, thin or bare spots under brackets or ledges but many of those will produce areas that will flash rust on you and produce more challenges than if you just  do the job as a well intending worker having a good day would have produced ;)

Pretty easy - typically all black

If I missed something please ask and I'll try and explain better
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 11:49:58 PM »
Thanks Jeff, we replicated the painter on a good day as suggested ;)
Regards,
Dom

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »
Looking good Dom. Remember, the guy with the spray gun was doing a monotonous job so nice sharp dividing paint lines were not part of his daily routine.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 01:08:37 AM »
Looking good Dom. Remember, the guy with the spray gun was doing a monotonous job so nice sharp dividing paint lines were not part of his daily routine.
Thanks Jim, do you think it's worth flicking some paint over that area? I can't remember if it'll be that visible once everything else is assembled (even looking in when the door is open)...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:03:25 AM by DM_1964 »
Regards,
Dom

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 07:08:11 PM »
Thanks Jim, do you think it's worth flicking some paint over that area? I can't remember if it'll be that visible once everything else is assembled (even looking in when the door is open)...

Believe San Jose used a mask or some other form to limit the black overspray back towards the rear of the car. I've not see a large fuzzy overspray edge like those found at other plants especially at the sides where the splash shield will attach

Some examples - No example of overspray along the top and outer edge. The "soft" edge that is often done incorrectly on show cars is at the top of the inner fender where the fender would bolt to on a San Jose. Sometimes a little sharper and other times softer or slightly fuzzy as if someone held a mask made of cardboard or pulled a piece of material folded over along the edge as they sprayed

Car below has two little spots were it looks like someone sprayed a little spray can of gray after the fender was removed

Some of the black you see is where the exterior paint has chipped or peeled off of the sealer below
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:05:33 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 10:32:10 PM »
Believe San Jose used a mask or some other form to limit the black overspray back towards the rear of the car. I've not see a large fuzzy overspray edge like those found at other plants especially at the sides where the splash shield will attach
Some of the black you see is where the exterior paint has chipped or peeled off of the sealer below
Thanks very much Jeff, those pics really clarify it, good to see pic#3 with the fender splash shield still on. We'll leave the car as is and continue assembling...
Regards,
Dom

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:21:38 PM »

Interesting how all but one have a little "spritz" of sound deadener. Did that get through the notch at the inside corner of the splash shield?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 11:43:19 PM »
Interesting how all but one have a little "spritz" of sound deadener. Did that get through the notch at the inside corner of the splash shield?
Also interesting to see on those examples that it just relates to the drivers side, the one pic of the passenger didn't have any...
Looking at the pattern doesn't look like it's come through the inside corner to me, there is a plug around that area from under the dash, looks like they give it a quick squirt of deadener for some reason, possibly to stop it rattling or to stop air coming through... just my assumption...
Regards,
Dom

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 11:45:49 PM »

The access hole plug seems to have body color paint on it and it seems to be on top of what may be the original color. You may need a disclaimer for this.
Jim
There's more than one repainted car.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:49:59 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 06:11:42 AM »

No that was applied after paint - likely when they were sealing the firewall pass throughs I would guess. Meant to seal that post from the interior wire loom clip/retainer that sticks through.

The access hole plug seems to have body color paint on it and it seems to be on top of what may be the original color. You may need a disclaimer for this.
Jim
There's more than one repainted car.

Not body color but a rattle can squirt once the fender was removed in the yard. I some times mark cars so that I know which cars I've documented the next time I visit - but this is not one of my "marks" Posted a description with the picture in my post so no one would confuse the small rattle can squirts at the upper left  and the upper right of that panel

"More than one"? Guess you might  be referring to the green and the burgundy cars that had an exterior repaint that didn't effect the area or  details discussed in this thread. Guess I could have cropped those so that some would not get distracted :)
Jeff Speegle