Author Topic: Gas tank strip  (Read 3380 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Gas tank strip
« on: November 18, 2010, 11:24:48 AM »
Here is a pic of a June 68 built Dearborn fastback. Never restored but it had been modified by the original owner over the years. Note rear disc brakes. My question pertains to the plastic strip along the lip of the gas tank opening. Is this an original piece? I could swear I've seen something similar kicking around either the garage or basement but never attributed it to the project. Need to know if this is something I should find and install.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: Gas tank strip
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »
I do not recall seeing this on a 68 before. Based on one sheetmetal screw that seems to be holding it in place (screw is horizontal), I will venture to say the rubber strip is not original for the 68.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:45:32 PM »
Within the last two years I have seen that clip on several  67 and 68 Shelby's I have worked on . I am sure they were original to the cars they were found on from the context in which I found them.  In all my years before I have never notice this type before. I know the two years of Shelby were produced were in different plants. It is a plastic clip that holds the fuel sender wire. It can be seen in the assemblyline drawings . I have only seen several of these in comparison to literally hundreds of the standard half dipped clips used in that location to hold the sender wire. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 09:56:36 PM »
Bob you are referring to the white plastic strip or a clip? My question was regarding the 12" long white plastic strip along the edge of the trunk drop lip.

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 12:10:25 AM »
The plastic strip is used for cars with courtesy group wiring. As Bob mentioned it is illustrated in the assembly manuals. We see it occasionally on 68 Shelbys that although they didn't get low fuel senders they got the courtesy group wiring so they could power the trunk lamps.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 12:44:14 AM »
Is it possible for a 68 without a console to have the courtesy group? I know this car had standard radio bezel. Would lights be in center of dash.

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 08:10:07 AM »
I don 't think the prescence of that strip means it had courtesy group, just that that was what it was originally intended for. Does your car have a trunk lamp? What does the Marti report list?

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 06:22:02 PM »
No it did not have the lamp.

Offline Keith Stem

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »
My 68 CJ Fastback has the plastic strip. The only wire in the strip is the fuel gauge wire. This car is a bare bones car and does not have any options. I bought the car in December of 68 and the strip has also been there, the car is a April 29, Dearborn build.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 03:08:57 PM »
That makes sense because the car in the photo is a 68 CJ fastback built in June of 68 in Dearborn. The strip in your pics shows it as if its black or dark gray while the one in my pic may have been milky white or clear and it yellowed with age or heat. The question I have is this just a CJ thing or would it be similar for 390's as well? I can swear i have something like this kicking around in one of the garages. I've never owned a CJ only Bosses and the 68 390 convert. Thanks for coming forward with the info. I would like to talk to you via private message regarding a build sheet for your car. My 390 was built at dearborn in early July and I'm trying to verify some things.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:11:29 PM »
I have seen the same strip on smallblocks too. I don't think it has anything to do with big block or smallblock. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 01:40:15 PM »
Bob thanks for chiming in. So it seems that a piece like this could have been off my current vert project since it was a late production date dearborn car? Most of the cars I've seen with this piece recently were built before mine however they were both CJ's. That was the reason for the question. This would negate the use of the half green and half black clips on the trunk lip for the fuel sending wire. I'll have to see if I can find this. I'll check one more car which is also Dearborn, June build, but a inline 6 coupe. I'll let you know what i find.

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 02:27:21 PM »
I looked at an unrestored December 26 built Dearborn fastback yesterday and it had the black wiring strip in place for the fuel sending wire.

Danny   
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge