Author Topic: 69 trunk sealer  (Read 2911 times)

Offline 69 black r code

69 trunk sealer
« on: December 10, 2010, 01:48:21 AM »
Hi all.
I'm working on a 4-69 NJ car. Does anyone have any pics of the seam sealer & sound deadner that was applyed in the trunk area? Have a good idea of how it was applyed around wheelwells & inner qtrs. but need to know how it should look around rear taillight panel. Mine was replaced. Also, was all(sealer & sound deadner) applyed before paint?
4-69 Mach1 NJ 428cj

Offline Bill73Ragtop

Re: 69 trunk sealer
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:09:15 AM »
If this would help, I have pictures of my 69 Dearborn vert when I dismantled it.  The original New Lime paint color was repainted in dark green so there is some overspray in the trunk area.  Otherwise, the car was unmolested.  I do have some pics of the trunk area.  I could email these to you for your use.

Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 05:42:51 PM »
Hi all.
I'm working on a 4-69 NJ car. Does anyone have any pics of the seam sealer & sound deadner that was applyed in the trunk area? Have a good idea of how it was applyed around wheelwells & inner qtrs. but need to know how it should look around rear taillight panel. Mine was replaced. Also, was all(sealer & sound deadner) applyed before paint?

Can't post pictures to the internet since Foxfire put out its latest version.

But you can email me directly and I can provide some pictures of a NJ car from that period  to help out

All seam sealers and sound deadener was applied before body color except what was applied to the front wheelwells (other than the base application to the firewall/cowl seams and the face surface - later coated over again) The front wheelwells were done after the car was assembled but before the wheels and tires were installed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline G Wood

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »
Bill:

Your photos would work well for my 69 Dearborn Mach 1. Could I ask you to email those as well?

65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline 69 black r code

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 01:25:43 AM »
Can't post pictures to the internet since Foxfire put out its latest version.

But you can email me directly and I can provide some pictures of a NJ car from that period  to help out

Thanks for the pics Jeff. Very helpful around wheel well areas. Could still use more around tail light panel. If anyone has any from a NJ car around 4-69 & could post it would be greatly appreciated.

4-69 Mach1 NJ 428cj

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 02:29:01 AM »

Thanks for the pics Jeff. Very helpful around wheel well areas. Could still use more around tail light panel. If anyone has any from a NJ car around 4-69 & could post it would be greatly appreciated.

Your welcome - the taillight panel to the lower panel appears to have been handles like San Jose with a neat thin bead of chalking and the supports I believe are shown in the picture. But the more the merrier - especially this time of year ;)  Ho Ho Ho
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69 black r code

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 01:02:57 AM »

Your welcome - the taillight panel to the lower panel appears to have been handles like San Jose with a neat thin bead of chalking and the supports I believe are shown in the picture. But the more the merrier - especially this time of year ;)  Ho Ho Ho
You'r correct Jeff, area around bumper brkt's is clearly shown in pic. If other than that there is only a thin bead at floor panel then that would mean the tail lamp panel ends would be sealed under qtr. extensions & not inside trunk?
4-69 Mach1 NJ 428cj

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 01:38:02 AM »
You'r correct Jeff, area around bumper brkt's is clearly shown in pic. If other than that there is only a thin bead at floor panel then that would mean the tail lamp panel ends would be sealed under qtr. extensions & not inside trunk?

No that area would not be sealed on the exterior of the car but inside the trunk and/or between the panels before they were welded. That is not an area we typically see much or any seam sealer
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69 black r code

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 10:31:02 PM »
Thanks For the help Jeff!!!
4-69 Mach1 NJ 428cj