Author Topic: 65-66 Fastback Interior Quarter Panel Trim Grills  (Read 2154 times)

Offline G Wood

65-66 Fastback Interior Quarter Panel Trim Grills
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:18:22 PM »
What is the recommended method to remove the metal grills from the fiberglass panel for refinishing and then to re-attach?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:10:05 PM by J_Speegle »
65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Fastback Interior Quarter Panel Trim Grills
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 04:29:55 PM »
I don't know that its the best method - just worked for me. Took a dremel tool to the posts and carefully removed the smashed part of the posts (leavigg as much as possible) Then when replacing added epoxy to those areas/spots.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 04:40:50 PM »
What is the recommended method to remove the metal grills from the fiberglass panel for refinishing and then to re-attach?
I remember a magazine (the name I don't remember) article years back where the attaching pins for the grills were drilled out, the panel painted and then the grills reinstalled with an epoxy (JBWeld?). I thought about it for my cars and declined.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 05:08:35 PM »
Removed them from panels on a fastback I owned over 20 years ago.  Did the epoxy thing, was not pleasant when one of the pieces detached and marred the fiberglass panel below it.

It's not that difficult leaving the trim pieces attached and work around/mask for restoration.  That would be my recommendation.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 08:08:06 PM »
I used a pushnut on the shaft, I guess you could add a little epoxy

Offline Morsel

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 08:20:34 PM »
Yeah, I left mine in and worked around them, but did the painting and clean up first on the chrome vents before this...

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline G Wood

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 11:42:10 PM »
I can work around them but they have some pitting and was going to have them refinished, that is why I was considering removing them. Thanks for the input.
65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline Morsel

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 04:05:59 PM »
I can work around them but they have some pitting and was going to have them refinished, that is why I was considering removing them. Thanks for the input.

Then yeah, I would use the epoxy/JbWeld method to reinstall afterwards... had to do that on one of mine and it worked great...

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior