Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

Trunk latch plating

(1/2) > >>

kutzoh:
Can the trunk latch be re-plated without disassembly? or like the door latches, is there a spring inside that would get compromised in the plating process.

Thanks,
Greg

Sunlitgold68:
If it's anything like a 68 latch, you don't want to replate it. I believe it is galvanized steel. I would recommend finding a nice original or cleaning your original.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: kutzoh on December 25, 2010, 02:58:24 PM ---Can the trunk latch be re-plated without disassembly? or like the door latches, is there a spring inside that would get compromised in the plating process.

Thanks,
Greg

--- End quote ---
yes . And yes. Bob

kutzoh:
Thanks for the replys guys, I thought the latch was zinc plated (64.5). Can anyone confirm if the 1st Generation latches were galvanized or not.

Bob, I don't understand your answer, are you saying "YES", I can replate the latch (unless it is galvanized) without disassembling AND "YES" it will compromise the spring mechanism?

Thanks,
Greg

CharlesTurner:
The 2 main body pieces were galvanized.  The striker mechanism was usually plated zinc dichromate and the rivets were clear zinc.  Yes, you will compromise the spring if you plate the unit as an assembly.  I've always been able to find decent originals when needed.  Or, Ford did service them, so there are NOS pieces out there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version