Author Topic: 69 GT500 Lug Wrench  (Read 1482 times)

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
69 GT500 Lug Wrench
« on: December 23, 2020, 01:12:18 PM »
Sorted through my folding lug wrenches. Looks like at least two manufacturers. "A" stamped, for Ausco? like the jacks?

Some variations may be from other car lines. I suspect that the version with the higher located mounting hole may be for 15 inch wheels? Have a D4ZZ-17032 service part, it has a closed handle. Not interested in those per se, but worth mentioning for identification.
Only one version sometimes has stamped dates.

Which style be used with a March 1969 Shelby GT500 Fastback?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 GT500 Lug Wrench
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 05:21:41 PM »
In image 6 the far left one is what I have typically found in 69 Shelby.Body style or engine size didn't seem to matter. The far right in the same image is what I found typically in 68 Metuchen.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 05:41:14 PM »
Moved this over since the other thread is getting near or over (after this discussion) 4 pages and it will be easier for the 69 Shelby guys to find it here.

Don't have many if any close ups of jack handles but will try and help by showing some of shat I do have and maybe we can narrow it down

Don't see the pronounced "step" in the handle of any in the pictures between the hole and the swivel end. Could be hidden/blocked in the first picture

Type, maker and such may come down to time period but I don't think we've gotten that far yet and it did not appear that you were looking for a specific application or car. Should apply to 69 Dearborn built cars also including Boss cars

Looking at the location of the hole in the handle shown in the three to the left of your second picture

Early in the production year

Next three are from the 0F4828-4829 range

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 05:43:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 05:53:38 PM »
Moved this over since the other thread is getting near or over (after this discussion) 4 pages and it will be easier for the 69 Shelby guys to find it here.

Don't have many if any close ups of jack handles but will try and help by showing some of shat I do have and maybe we can narrow it down

Don't see the pronounced "step" in the handle of any in the pictures between the hole and the swivel end. Could be hidden/blocked in the first picture

Type, maker and such may come down to time period but I don't think we've gotten that far yet and it did not appear that you were looking for a specific application or car. Should apply to 69 Dearborn built cars also including Boss cars

Looking at the location of the hole in the handle shown in the three to the left of your second picture

Early in the production year

I interpret the short step in the first picture right where the shadow starts. But that is just me .There may be more then one style used one more typical then the other.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 04:09:27 PM »
I interpret the short step in the first picture right where the shadow starts. But that is just me .There may be more then one style used one more typical then the other.

My indeed be. Sure we can find more examples given time. At least two of the four I posted have that very flat center rib on the top (as mounted in the car) version
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 07:49:39 PM »
Was away from my resources last week.
The lug wrench on the bottom, is the one that Jeff has pictured with the space saver wheels. Do we agree? "Flat center section".
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 09:40:14 PM »
The lug wrench on the bottom, is the one that Jeff has pictured with the space saver wheels. Do we agree? "Flat center section".
Based on Jeff's picture it is apparently one of at least two types used . His other picture shows the other type with the step and the one I see more of.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 01:20:38 AM »
The "Flat center section" version appears to be a 1970 lug wrench version based Ford sticker on the NOS one for sale. It is a Ed Meyer auction. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1970-Ford-Mustang-Boss-Mach-1-Cougar-428-Lug-Wrench-Jack-Handle-D0ZZ-17032-A/324386736470  .I posted a couple pictures for when the auction goes away.

Offline specialed

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 01:13:27 AM »
The flat handle like in bottom photo of post #5 and jeff s photos is what i seen on 69 dearborn cars and the nos dozz is what i see on 70 dearborn cars from factory anyway.  They are both flat but the end tips are different angle vs rounded ends and the j-bolt  hole area is different stamping since different vendors. In my ebay auction i dont mention shelby since the dozz is not concours correct for the  69-70 shelby. i have seen the hump handle in 71 cars but may have been a running change.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 01:22:27 AM by specialed »