Author Topic: Rear tie downs????  (Read 8590 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Rear tie downs????
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »
One man one word! Thanks!
Now one question to the exhaust system.
Could all engine codes could be ordered with dual exhaust?

Dual exhaust was standard equipment from the factory on ALL K codes and only A codes if they were GT's.  Dual exhaust was not available as a factory option on anything else.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Asm109

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 09:03:48 PM »
Dual exhaust was standard equipment from the factory on ALL K codes and only A codes if they were GT's.  Dual exhaust was not available as a factory option on anything else.

This would mean that factory A code GT's can be proven by the reinforcing plates behind the rear seats.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 11:18:17 PM »
Just to keep any confusion down and so people reading can better understand the motivation for the questions , Jerry has a very nice 1965 R model replica that he is trying to tweak with most all the parts Ford and Shelby that would have been on the car back in 1965 . He is trying to make a very close copy and is the reason for the questions concerning what does a duel exhaust tie down look like and how it is attached etc. . Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Jerry

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 04:26:43 AM »
Hi Bob that is true but i just want to let you know that
I also own a 66 San Jose Notchback and my questions
here have nothing to do with my R. If I need specific information
about 65 K San Jose Fastbacks I will add this to my post.

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 06:34:17 PM »
This would mean that factory A code GT's can be proven by the reinforcing plates behind the rear seats.

If the reinforcing plate you're referring to is the large section that looks like and additional floorpan piece welded in, the lack of it WOULDN'T exclude it as a dual exhaust car. This myth has been perpetuated greatly over the internet during the past year or so. Not all  factory dual exhaust cars GT's or K codes, received this extra support. Here's a pic of my untouched, documented, Metuchen '66 GT fastback floorpan:

As you can see, there's no extra reinforcement.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:36:28 PM by JKWilson »
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 07:18:48 PM »
As you can see, there's no extra reinforcement.

And not something common.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:09 PM »
Think we can chock the lacking of the support to a plant particular practice for a short period of time or a mistake. Possibly a car that was started as a single exhaust car then changed - for some unknown reason - to a dual exhaust car during production. Just not a normal practice
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
IIRC the majority, if not all, examples I have seen posted on various websites have been Dearborn and SJ cars. I'd take no exception to Metuchen doing something different. SJ seems to have been famous (or infamous if you prefer!), for this.

My point in posting was the blanket statement that has accompanied every reference post alludes to the fact that if the additional reinforcement isn't there, it's ain't real! Bottom line, it isn't a 100% accurate reference point to look at, uncommon or not!

BTW, a friend owns an 01/66 scheduled date Metuchen GT coupe. I don't recall ever seeing the reinforcement on his. I will check to confirm though and post the results. It is quit possibly a Metuchen thing.

p.s. If I didn't mention it, mine had a schedule date of 10/65.
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 09:43:53 PM »
My point in posting was the blanket statement that has accompanied every reference post alludes to the fact that if the additional reinforcement isn't there, it's ain't real! Bottom line, it isn't a 100% accurate reference point to look at, uncommon or not!

And it is with reason that most of us accept the blanket statements as it was Ford's intention to put the reinforcements into cars with factory dual exhaust.  As with almost everything, there are exceptions, but I would not accept the absence as a normal factory procedure. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2021, 05:54:19 PM »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)