Author Topic: White "Textured" Paint -  (Read 1438 times)

Offline jwc66k

White "Textured" Paint -
« on: November 24, 2020, 12:30:54 AM »
I want to paint my 66 Ralley Pac white, to match deluxe interior code 62, blue/white. The finish of Ralley Pacs are supposed to be a "wrinkle" finish but the EPA restricted most wrinkle paints a decade or so ago (we were spraying it up our noses or something). Most of the available wrinkle paint is black. I found this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7225830-Textured-Spray-Paint/dp/B000ZYTZDO
It's a textured finish. Has anyone tried it? Comments? Got another source?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 196667Bob

Re: White "Textured" Paint -
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 04:27:02 AM »
Jim : The metal portion (non-padded) area of 1957 Thunderbirds was a textured paint of appropriate interior color.

Most of the T-Bird people use 3M Rocker Panel Spray, which is textured and made to be top coat painted, to achieve the Factory dash finish. It used to be available in clear, but looking around a little, it looks like it is now gray. Not cheap ; about $35-40 for a 23 ounce spray can.

It does show the texture when top coated, but I wouldn't call it a wrinkle finish. However, I guess it would be better than trying to make a black wrinkle finish white without filling in the wrinkles.

m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Rocker-Panel-Coating/?N=5002385+3293193752&preselect=3293786499&rt=rud

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline 69bossnut

• DSD Restorations LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 10:19:36 PM »
They make an additive that you can add into your paint to get the texture you want. I used to have some from PPG when I restored a 57 Thunderbird. Can’t remember the number but you can also get a sand additive that is similar.
DAVID DAVIS
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC
5075 E. COUNTY RD. 126
BLYTHEVILLE, AR. 72315
870-780-4999
dsdresto@gmail.com
www.dsdrestoration.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 12:34:46 AM »
The finish on my Rally Pac is wrinkle black. I want it to match deluxe interior code 62 white. Painting white over black leaves a "dark" (ugly) white. To get it white "white" takes a lot of paint which will fill in too much wrinkle.
Here's plan "A":
1. Disassemble the Rally Pac.
2. Strip the black wrinkle finish from the rear housing and tach/clock housings (plus the mounting strap and wire channel).
3. Spray housings with Rust-Oleum white textured spray paint -
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7225830-Textured-Spray-Paint/dp/B000ZYTZDO
4. Cover the "off" color white Rust-Oleum with a lite coat of white spray that matches my code 62 interior color. Spray the bottom strap and wire channel white.
I will do a "test" first on all steps.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 02:47:10 AM »
Jim : My DuPont Jobber used to be able to mix Wrinkle Paint in any color. Since Axalta bought out DuPont's Paint Division, it looks like they may have something similar. Might be worth checking out.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 04:19:53 PM »
- Axalta bought out DuPont's Paint Division, it looks like they may have something similar. Might be worth checking out.
Available at O'Reilly's Auto parts in gallon sizes (and up) for around $60 a gallon, except in white. For some reason, no white. I need about a pint, and still need the Ford white code 62 for the non-textured parts.
(The four screws holding the clock and Rally Pac to the housing are also painted wrinkle black.)
It's plan "A".
Jim

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 05:22:34 PM »
The Rust-Oleum textured paint came in from Amazon. When used on my test object, it had all the appearance of something painted in a dusty room, lots of uneven little bitty pieces of dust placed randomly. Not recommended.
A day or two later, I was doing a bit of inside the house touch up painting with a water based, flat white interior paint and thought, let's experiment. I mixed one ounce of the paint and one teaspoon new 40-80 grit glass beads to attempt a textured finish. I applied a test sample with a "not too good" brush to my test object. Then in the interest of science, I added more glass beads and applied another test sample next to the first using the same "not too good" brush (which also doubled as a mixing stick) for a comparison. After it dried, I sprayed the only white automotive paint I had (it was for seats), just to see what would happen when a light colored paint was applied over the textured paint, as in would it fill in the texture. The initial intent was to obtain a textured white that matched the white interior of 66 interior 62, blue/white, for the Rally Pac.
Pic 1 - My low profile black textured Rally Pac housing with the test object above. On the test object, the single teaspoon beads and one ounce of paint is the strip on the bottom, the second teaspoons of beads added above it, traces of the Rust-Oleum test above that, and a layer of the seat paint white on the right side for fill in (pieces of the unpainted test object appear randomly).
Pic 2 - The test object (hey, it worked. The remaining contents are safe in my 60 year old Philco fridge).
The next test stage is to use smaller size glass beads in the same white house paint. The smaller size beads are of two varieties, used glass beads from inside the bead blast cabinet, and used glass bead dust from the external vacuum tank.
Jim