Author Topic: New guy from MN - 67 Fastback GT 390  (Read 1627 times)

Offline dblB

New guy from MN - 67 Fastback GT 390
« on: January 20, 2021, 04:32:48 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to say hello and thank you for accepting me into the forum.  I'm pretty new to classic mustangs and I have been researching a lot about the car.  When my father-in-law passed he had a 67 GT 390 fastback in the middle of a nut and bolt restoration. I picked up the project last summer and since then have been working on sorting parts, building a project plan and networking.  This forum is great as I'm hoping to bring the car back to near original as I can.

Thank you for having me. Here are a few pictures of the car on it's way back to my place. Everyone likes pictures
67 Fastback GT 390 4spd

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: New guy from MN - 67 Fastback GT 390
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 04:51:10 PM »
Welcome. Hope you find the site helpful and supportive of your restoration project. Lots of information already posted and we're here for new questions.

One suggestion would be to add a line in your signature (just go to your profile) showing when and where your car was built and possibly add the options. If not that will often be the first question asked after you post your question.  Many here have found this makes that all automatic and helps us skip having to ask since so many details are related to those details.

Again welcome and have fun viewing those new sections that are now available to you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dblB

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 05:14:33 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  I filled out some information in my profile. One question that may belong in this thread: Is this forum available on tapatalk, the cell phone app?  I use it a lot for other forums and it is pretty handy, especially for uploading pictures from my phone.
67 Fastback GT 390 4spd

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 05:25:20 PM »
Might want to include when the car was built and indicate if the real date (from a Marti report) or the projected one from the door tag.

Don't know which phone apps will or would not work.  Impossible to do what I do on the site on a cell phone.  Others will share their experiences I'm sure

As for pictures I hope you consider uploading them to your gallery here on the site. We've found that over the years pictures posted disappear for many reasons. If uploaded to the gallery then they are here as long as the site is up
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 09:27:43 PM »
Welcome. Let us know how you progress
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline JeffC

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 09:03:25 PM »
Love cars that are brought back to original. I'm also here just asking questions so not a lot of answers from me, but Welcome!

P.S. Keep us in the loop on how it goes.
Jeffrey Cruz
69' R-Code Mach 1
San Jose
May 6, 1969

Offline sflaten

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 10:52:27 PM »
I am also a Minnesota resident of Minnesota and glad to see new blood in the area. You should plan on hooking up with the Mustang community. We have a lot of good resources in the two major clubs in the Metro area. What area are you in?

https://www.midwestshelbyclub.com/

https://www.southwestmetromustangclub.com/

It is a little difficult with the  Covid thing. These two clubs are likely voting to merge into one club with a vote scheduled for February 1, 2021, at which time new meeting  site and time will be decided. This will result in a club of about 500 members In the meantime you can contact me at sjflaten@comcast.net and I can help point you to some of our members that can answer your question.
Steve
1969 Mach 1, Champagne Gold
Dearborn built 3/4/69
351W 4V, PS, Power disc brakes
past ownership; 69 Mach 1(red), 79 Pace car, 69 Mach 1 (gold), 89 GT, 2011 GT500 (still own)

Offline dblB

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 10:20:45 PM »
Thanks! Yes I should join the local clubs. I live near Litchfield, around one hour west of the metro. I'll send you an email. My brother-in-law got the family's 68 convertible (driver), l tell him about the clubs too.
Thanks,
Brian

I am also a Minnesota resident of Minnesota and glad to see new blood in the area. You should plan on hooking up with the Mustang community. We have a lot of good resources in the two major clubs in the Metro area. What area are you in?

https://www.midwestshelbyclub.com/

https://www.southwestmetromustangclub.com/

It is a little difficult with the  Covid thing. These two clubs are likely voting to merge into one club with a vote scheduled for February 1, 2021, at which time new meeting  site and time will be decided. This will result in a club of about 500 members In the meantime you can contact me at sjflaten@comcast.net and I can help point you to some of our members that can answer your question.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 05:11:05 PM by J_Speegle »
67 Fastback GT 390 4spd

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 08:12:04 PM »
Glad to see another northerner, I live in Newport. Hooking up with the local  scene will be good. I used to be president of the Shelby club way back, now I do restorations.

Offline dblB

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 08:55:12 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I hope to attend some events this year. Maybe even with my car in 2022.

Glad to see another northerner, I live in Newport. Hooking up with the local  scene will be good. I used to be president of the Shelby club way back, now I do restorations.
67 Fastback GT 390 4spd

Offline big bad blue

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 03:51:08 PM »
 Welcome, Love the first picture on the trailer with no wheels, looks like a rocket ship. Never seen the lines like that, great look.
70 Eliminator, dearborn 428 CJ born 11/12/69, auto.

Offline dblB

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 05:18:27 PM »
Welcome, Love the first picture on the trailer with no wheels, looks like a rocket ship. Never seen the lines like that, great look.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm learning a lot about this car every day. I can't count how many times I said I wish the car could tell me what has all been done to it over the years.

July sun light from the shed skylights were hitting the car just right. Celebration photo for making it home with the car safely.
67 Fastback GT 390 4spd

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 08:22:25 PM »
This will be a very classic looking Mustang when done.  Green/Ivy Gold is very 60's.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline John Ha

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 10:04:29 AM »
Welcome neighbor!  I envy you.  The 67 fastback is my all-time favorite Mustang body style.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it when you're done.

Offline dblB

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 04:13:05 PM »
Thanks for the compliments everyone.  Period correct, longevity and drivability are the largest goals of the build. Hopefully it will stay with the family a long time, with only weekend DQ run duties while Clapton is playing. Original items will be saved if 'bolt on' items are added in the event 100% accuracy is the goal later in life. 

SD isn't too far away from me, good to know there are others in the area.

This forum is great for information and serves it's purpose well. Thank you.
67 Fastback GT 390 4spd