Author Topic: 1967 San Jose Radiator Support and Battery Box "D" Marking  (Read 330 times)

Offline Paperback Writer

NOTE: This set of posts was separated from another thread about the 67 San Jose Radiator suport seal strip

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4830.msg27004#msg27004

-------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the additional info Jeff!

Regarding the "D" written on my radiator support... since you say you've seen this on non-dual exhaust cars as well, have you seen any correlation between the other cars that had the"D" and their interiors?  My car is a 76B, so I'm now wondering/speculating if this might have been used to indicate that the car had the Interior Decor option - with the "D" presumably representing Decor or Deluxe...

Also - I was at a car show in Oregon this past weekend and found a '68 coupe (also built in San Jose) that used screws as well, so I guess there's really no pattern to when and why they used this method of attachment...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 06:02:38 PM by J_Speegle »
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline Paperback Writer

Re: 1967 San Jose Radiator Support and Battery Box "D" Marking
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:27:42 PM »
Probably beating a dead horse here, but when we pulled the front fenders off the car the other day, we found an even larger "S/D" marking on the back side of the battery tray panel.  I think the "D" has to stand for something more than "done"...

If not for Dual Exhaust or Deluxe Interior, maybe it stood for Disk brakes?

Just speculating...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 06:02:48 PM by J_Speegle »
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 San Jose Radiator Support and Battery Box "D" Marking
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:15:58 PM »
NOTE: The following are portions of my responses in the original thread that were intermixed (in the same post) with comments about the radiator seal

The seal on the top of the radiator support of my 67 390 GTA convertible was attached with screws instead of staples or clips.  The radiator support has never been replaced (in fact, it still has a big S and D written in grease pen in front of the battery area  presumably to denote the S code engine and dual exhaust), and I'm pretty sure the seal itself is original to the car as well.

The marks are pretty typical for a 67 San Jose non-C or A code car. But the "D" is not related to the exhaust IMHO since it appears on everything from 6 cylinders to 390 cars that year.  The marks could be applied (typically) in one of three locations dependent on (likely IMHO) on the worker that applied them and the shift.

...........  I think the "D" has to stand for something more than "done"...
If not for Dual Exhaust or Deluxe Interior, maybe it stood for Disk brakes?
Just speculating...

Since the "D" has been found on single (6 cylinder)exhaust cars and standard interiors you'll have to ray again ;)

Have seen thousands of San Jose cars marked as such - I've yet to figure it out = and haven't found a worker yet that can confirm its purpose. Still trying though

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 06:05:48 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)