Author Topic: Opinions needed  (Read 4747 times)

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Opinions needed
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 05:18:35 PM »
When reading your first post... "is this car worth keeping a 6 cylinder? "  I assumed the car was an OE 6 cylinder car in need of restoration.  It seems it has already met the fate of so many of the 6 cylinder cars.  I would not attempt any sort of restoration.  Way to much, time, money, anguish and effort with little hope of any sort of return.  Drive it while your looking around for the car you really want.  Just my opinion.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 05:27:49 PM »
My opinion,

Since the original engine is gone, and the car is already repainted in the wrong color, I'd build it like you want to and save the original rear center section and tag ( It's the only "E" unique piece left).  Restoring the car to concours condition would be expensive, and hunting down all the missing parts would be time consuming to say the least. What you'd end up with is a car that would appeal to a VERY small segment of the mustang community, and if you had to sell it, you'd be hard pressed to get 1/2 of what you had in it, even if you did a lot of the work yourself.  A six cylinder car missing it's original engine, even one of 96, wouldn't be the car to restore to concours level unless there was some sentimental attachment to it.  69 fastbacks are so popular because of their styling and their "muscle car" image, and you'd end up with one of the slowest 69 fastbacks ford ever manufactured. ( a 6 cylinder, coupled with a 2.33 gear and a tight converter ) From reading your posts, it sounds like you really want a performance car and that's not what you'd end up with when your done.

Before all the six cylinder fans on the forum crucify me, I am a straight six fan, my first car was a 66 convertible with a 200 six and a 3 speed stick, and I still miss that car (Don't miss that trans though  :D )    I do know how difficult it is to sell a six cylinder car that's above just a driver level is though. A while back a friend inherited his grandmothers 67 6 cyl coupe. It was a 27,000 mile, mostly garage kept, original owner car, green/green, original very faded paint car. After trying to sell it for six or seven months for 8 or 9K, he finally took 6500.00 for the car, and the new owner used it's doors, fenders, and a bunch of small parts for a Shelby resto, then replaced the parts with Chinese stuff and gave it to his daughter to drive to school.

If you really want a performance fastback to drive and show, I think Kerry has the right idea, save up some cash, then sell your car as it is, and buy a 70 Mach 1 driver and restore it as funds permit. There are a lot of H and M code cars out there reasonably priced, parts are around, and you won't loose your A** when you go to sell it. ( remember, body and paint work cost the same weather it's a 6 cylinder fastback or a R code Mach1 )

Something tells me I'm going to get an earful now .....

John

Offline ruger

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 06:48:21 PM »
I believe the torque converter is still in the original trans. 

1969 Sportsroof Mustang E'
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »
Tough choice especially for someone "new" to the hobby. Others have offered allot of experience and reflection. This is a very personal thing since what might be right for one is likely not the best for another. I see the key points as follows - many have been mentioned already in the thread

1- Do you want a restored 6 cylinder sportroof in that color?

2- Do you have the skills, money and mindset to do a concours restoration? Don't get caught half way through a restoration with most of the money spent and a car far from complete. It hurts

3- In many way this car will be less expensive to do then others but in concert with that many of the parts will be more difficult to find since few collectors will have kept parts that were made for 6 cylinders over the years.

4- Research, reproduction parts and information for the restoration will be more difficult since they have not been done (in relationship to the model and drivetrain.

5- Cost for 70-80% of the car will be close to the same as any Boss 429 or big block Mach I with much less possibility of a financial return. Paint and body work will be the largest single expense

6- You will get some additional attention at shows and plenty of magazine time since everyone of them is looking for something different for the normal red convertible or the orange Boss.

7- You will need to answer the question about "what is it" thousands of times. Great if you like attention but it will diminish after a few years of showing.

8- Believe that in its current condition/form its not going to bring allot of money if you choose to find another car. Of course if you keep it the fact that it was a very rare car will mean little to many people since its been altered from that form

Just a bit of reflection on my part
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)