Author Topic: Insuring your Mustang  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Insuring your Mustang
« on: February 12, 2011, 12:48:39 AM »
What kind of insurance do people put on a restored Mustang? My insurance is nothing special at this moment, just basic policy considered a 1968 ford passenger vehicle.

Should a restored Mustang be insured for what you think it is worth or how much you have invested? I have no idea.

8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Insuring your Mustang
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:18:56 AM »
I've got Hagerty Insurance on my car and as it gets closer to being completed they have worked with me on increasing the agreed upon value.  They are based right here in Traverse City. It is a great company; they understand about vintage cars and the concerns we have about protecting them.  I have had other cars insured with them in the past and their rates are always competitive especially if you plan on driving your car. 
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline c9zx

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 01:10:13 PM »
I used to use a specialty company. Many years ago I consolidated all my insurance needs with Shelter Insurance. The collectable cars are covered by agreed upon stated value and required photographs to be taken by the agent. It worked smoothly in my case because my agent is also VERY into collectable Fords and Shelbys. The rates were less than the specialty company and had no mileage restrictions. The policy does require the vehicles to be garaged.

Chuck
Thanks, Chuck

1969 G code Cougar Eliminator
1972 Q code Mach 1, auto, air, 2F05Q183426, 03/16/72
CSX 7031

priceless

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »
I have been with Heacock classic car insurance for 12 years with our '69 Mach 1. They've been great. working with me when I, and Heacock, thought it was time to increase my coverage.

I've never had to file a claim, but, My Father-in-law had too 3 years ago. At that time he hadn't been with Heacock but about 5 years. He got hit in the right quarter panel of his restored '67 Mustang. Heacock had an adjuster out in 3 days,looked at the Mustang,told my Father-in-law he had the choice of repair shops to do the work.I helped him pick one, and in a week, Heacock had a check to him in 7 days.

I called Heacock and said "Thanks" for taking care of this for my Father-in-law,even though he was 78 at that time,Heacock was polite,prompt and never once denied or questioned anything....I, and my Father-in-law, will be with Heacock for a LONG time.....Also, they are a proud sponsor of the MCA. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 02:52:57 PM by priceless »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:59:26 PM »
Hagerty has always been good to me.  I saw your car yesterday and have to say you need to make sure you get it insured properly.  I would guess somewhere around the $25-35k range.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mustangted

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
agreed upon value and stated value are not the same thing

I used to use a specialty company. Many years ago I consolidated all my insurance needs with Shelter Insurance. The collectable cars are covered by agreed upon stated value and required photographs to be taken by the agent. It worked smoothly in my case because my agent is also VERY into collectable Fords and Shelbys. The rates were less than the specialty company and had no mileage restrictions. The policy does require the vehicles to be garaged.

Chuck
66 L6 Coupe, 06 v-6 coupe

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 12:36:29 AM »
That's about the value I was thinking Charles. What is this about the insurance company giving you options about where to get damage fixed? I wouldn't want anybody fixing it but Frank, hopefully nothing will ever happen.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

priceless

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 09:39:50 PM »
Sunlitgold68...I didn't know if you were refering to me or Charles on insurance company giving us options...The adjuster said we could take the Mustang to any shop of our choice for the repair work, which I thought was cool. We picked a shop that I knew for a fact done excellent work on vintage automobiles and the repair work turned out great,,,,and Heacock was GREAT.....I have been with them back when they were called Parrish/Heacock. over 12 years now.