Author Topic: Re: 1969 SJ Mustang Engine Bay and Undercarriage Color  (Read 4393 times)

Offline lmennis

Re: 1969 SJ Mustang Engine Bay and Undercarriage Color
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 04:47:20 PM »
Why would someone do this?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 05:21:22 PM by lmennis »

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 05:28:03 PM »
hinges and latch are phosphate & oil. search library here for more info on refinishing. welds appear to repair shock tower cracks.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 06:12:22 PM »
Starting to get off focus for the thread  :)  invite you to start a thread in the Members Build section of the site. That is what it's there for. Showing pictures of your car, findings and questions related to just your car, so its all about you and it

Why would someone do this?

To strengthen the area. If you drive the cars hard the factory shock towers can crack and rip. That is why Ford started adding additional bracing on big blocks. Sometimes shops think they are helping  ::) but adding this. Have one car that was done that was only neater. It's going to be a pain to fix
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rezzato

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2021, 12:59:24 PM »
My late 68 built San Jose car had undercoating forward of the firewall on the frame rails, I never saw any exposed red oxide under the car. The only area I saw intact red oxide was under the cowl in the interior.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
I think the factory thought the same thing, because the 428pi cars had welded shock towers as well.

I have seen several small blocks with the wrap around supports, so its not exclusively big block cars.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2021, 12:37:58 AM »
My late 68 built San Jose car had undercoating forward of the firewall on the frame rails, I never saw any exposed red oxide under the car. The only area I saw intact red oxide was under the cowl in the interior.

In your picture is that not a flake of red oxide on the edge of the front cross member?  What day was the car really completed? Maybe I've got a picture of another done the same day

That would not be typical and not something I've seen on San Jose cars from the same period. What is the finish in the strut rod pockets under the strut rod bushings?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rezzato

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2021, 12:23:22 PM »
In your picture is that not a flake of red oxide on the edge of the front cross member?  What day was the car really completed? Maybe I've got a picture of another done the same day

That would not be typical and not something I've seen on San Jose cars from the same period. What is the finish in the strut rod pockets under the strut rod bushings?

It looks like a flake of red oxide that has been painted over by the under hood black. Marti says 12/19/68. Strut rod pockets look the same way.