Author Topic: Question on cobra dual quad 289 set up  (Read 846 times)

Offline livetoride60

Question on cobra dual quad 289 set up
« on: November 29, 2021, 02:05:29 PM »
Im looking at a Cobra dual quad 289 setup for sale, but don't think it has the correct Carter carbs.  It has j2-9400s but reading correct ones should be 3258S and 3259S. 

Also, was the Cobra Carter dual quad intake ever reproduced?  I read the Holley version was.

If anyone can confirm, or provide more info on how to authenticate, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Question on cobra dual quad 289 set up
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 07:14:19 PM »
Since I don't believe a reproduction was every made confirming the intake is pretty easy. Don't recall if the "stand" on the bottom is there or if it carries the Offy stamping like other intakes of the period

Yes it appears that the one your looking at does not have the original carbs They were 3258S and 3259S as you noted

Had one around the house for decades (came with a Shelby I purchased) but gave it to a friend so don't have it around to take any additional pictures of now

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 01:23:33 PM »
Thanks for the info Jeff.  Very cool!
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 06:15:36 PM »
Im looking at a Cobra dual quad 289 setup for sale, but don't think it has the correct Carter carbs.  It has j2-9400s but reading correct ones should be 3258S and 3259S. 

Also, was the Cobra Carter dual quad intake ever reproduced?  I read the Holley version was.

If anyone can confirm, or provide more info on how to authenticate, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Carter(R) 3258S and 3259S carburetors as you noted. Most of the carburetors factory installed in new Cobras would have probably been dated maybe in late 1963 or early 1964. The carburetor bodies and covers were not roughed up by harsh media blasting like some later made Carter units. Most of the Ford over the counter systems probably had carburetors dated between late 1964 and 1967. Service carburetors were made into at least 1969. Variables in manufacturing dates, versions of parts used, and condition leads to a wide range of values. Most used carburetors I see are modified and or missing parts.

If anyone has copied the intakes it is a well kept secret. Ford sold many more bare intakes than they did induction kits. The retail assemblies Ford sold had quite a few different parts that what was used in new Cobras. New old stock bare intake manifolds are not all that rare and used ones are in many parts collector?s displays.

Air cleaners. They have been commercially reproduced but not faithfully, at least none I have seen. The common reproductions copied sets with deformed tops. The reproduction decals do not have all the fine detail nor all the colors originals did. I reverse engineered air cleaner pieces from a new old stock in Ford boxes set of air cleaners a Cobra owner had for decades, so accurate drawings are available. Not every air cleaner or pair of air cleaners received a Stelling & Hellings? sticker, especially in new Cobras 1963-65.

Fuel log assemblies. The one for Cobras has been recreated by a few owners based on borrowed originals. The Ford fuel log was reproduced in the 1980s and reproductions might be obsolete by now, I believe the man making them in the 1980s has passed on. Cobras used rubber hoses and hose clamps to connect the fuel pump to the fuel log and both carburetors. Plastic ties held the long hose up away from the fan blade mounted on the water pump on new Cobras.

Automatic Choke. Complete missing nothing looks good and works correctly automatic choke parts might be the rarest parts to find. Based on what few I have seen for sale, a complete used choke control might sell for mid to high three figures values.

Base Studs and Nuts. For Cobras Shelby American used the same Dorman(R) studs used widely in street and race Cobras, AN cadmium plated flat washers, and MS cadmium plated hex nuts. The parts list for Ford kits call out Ford parts.

Most of the intake manifold castings are a little different than the 1963-64 ones just because the pattern got worn over time. I have seen an new old stock intake manifold without the ancillary throttle bracket holes finished, one was not drilled at all.

Original factory Cobra installations also included 1) a heater water manual shut off valve that was unique to new Cobras,  (I have hunted a new old stock one since 1983 and not found one. The service replacement is just very rare but they turn up occassionally) 2) tabs for throttle return springs, 3) throttle return springs, and 4) a throttle bell crank lever mounting bracket unique to 2-4V Cobras.  Cobras with 2-4V also used a unique coolant expansion tank assembly.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:35:44 AM by Dan Case »
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.